Okay, this is what I want to do...

sirslurpee

What does THIS button do?
I want to use guitar-pro to write my drum tracks, and then export those to midi, import them into cubase, and then use a drum vsti to make it sound not-midi. I don't need it to sound amazing, just enough so that I can write and get my ideas into cubase and then when I bring my drummer in (or record the tracks myself) i can have the guitar down already and it's easy to bring everything else in like that.

What do I need? And what do I need to do to make it happen?

Thanks!

You actually don't need anything more than what you already described. You can create your drum track in guitar-pro, and guitar-pro will export to midi. Then you import that midi track in cubase. You can either use the crappy synth sounds that come with windows or get a nicer program if you want more realistic play back sounds.

So, it sounds like you already have everything you need

sirslurpee, why don't you just write the drum part in cubase using the piano roll or drum editor? however you do it, you'll need a sampler vst. the sfz soundfont player vst and a drum soundfont should work for you.

TravisinFlorida said:
sirslurpee, why don't you just write the drum part in cubase using the piano roll or drum editor? however you do it, you'll need a sampler vst. the sfz soundfont player vst and a drum soundfont should work for you.

My thoughts exactly.

Why make things more complicated than they have to be by working in 2 different software packages which basically do the same thing...

well, honestly, first I haven't been able to find the drum/piano roll editor in Cubase. second.. I've been writing in guitar pro for a few years I guess I am just used to using it... maybe I will do some snooping around to try to find the drum editor in there but seriously I looked for a couple hours and couldn't find it at all

...?

The drum programming in guitar-pro is much more user friendly than Cubase for sure...but once you learn the cubase one, it of course makes more sense to use that rather than having 2 programs that do the same thing.

But there is definately a learning curve on cubase, guitar pro is excellent for arranging parts compared to cubase IMO.

rgraves said:
The drum programming in guitar-pro is much more user friendly than Cubase for sure...but once you learn the cubase one, it of course makes more sense to use that rather than having 2 programs that do the same thing.

But there is definately a learning curve on cubase, guitar pro is excellent for arranging parts compared to cubase IMO.

I dissagree. Having been a Cakewalk/Sonar user for the past 7 years, I recently purchased Cubase. There is no contest -Cubase has much more functionaly when it comes to MIDI sequencing/editing.

It's really easy. What you do is, you add a MIDI track to your Cubase LE project (click on Project - Add Track - MIDI), then click on the pencil button (it says Draw when you keep your cursor on it for a few secs) just underneath the toolbar and draw the cursor along the grid with the left mouse button pressed down, thus drawing an empty MIDI track, which you then double-click (first, click the arrow or Object selection button far left again) - and voila - the so-called key editor or the piano roll window opens. Then you open the Devices option it the Toolbar and select VST Instruments. After that you click on instrument 1 on 2 (the black slot) and you select the drums option. The in-built lm7 drums are actually pretty good and for rock it's the Compressor option you want, but you can tweak them by pressing on the "e" button, which opens the virtual drum machine - you prevew the sounds and edit them to your liking. When you draw the MIDI notes, have the Auto Play option enabled (a button with a loudspeaker icon on it) so that you can hear what you're inputting. Then find the chart with the commands for each drum sound (kick is C1) and program away. You'll have to RTM, I'm afraid, ask around, and I'd also recommend the TWEAK HEADZ LAB for some useful info on the subject. Enjoy - it's hard work but enjoyable.

OKAY! sorry I'm really excited.. I had to bring this thread back from the dead (no intention on rhyming sorry) because I finally figured this shit out. Really, the drum sounds in cubase are fine for what I am doing.. I'm just doing demo tracks and I'm writing all the music to teach another drummer so it doesn't have to sound amazing or anything..
but like.. it really is simple. I just never actually took the time to dig into it and try to work with it. I think I found a new way of writing all my friggin songs now haha..

So.. I just wanted to say thank you guys! sooooo much!

Back