Ok Who bought it?

jman

I forget which thread but someone mentioned an MR-8 on MF scratch and dent the other night. I had it all set up for purchase but my wife had to jump on the pc. When I got back - bam it's gone. I am sure some lucky person checking this forum out snatched it. Too funny.

still sittin on the digital sideline.

MR8 Buy

For anyone looking to buy an MR8, you might try www.JDSound.com. They had some listed on E-bay for 279.99, buy it now and free shipping. However, I noticed they had the bid started at $250.00. I sent them an e-mail and asked if they would sell me one for $250.00 and include free shipping. They did and you might want to try it. It's brand new and not a scratch and dent.

it was me

Hey JMAN, I honeslty couldn't beleive my eyes when i just read your post. I actually bought the last one, it was $229.99 plus s&h, but get this, I waited the 5 days, it was delivered, i take it out of the box..Not a single scratch or dent on it..it was totally perfect looking, and I was like, no way, I'm so lucky..Then i plug it in, and turn it on..the lights flash, and then nothing..try it again in a different outlet, nothing..I called up the MF tech support and he said it was a faulty unit. So as we speak it's being fedex'd back to MF for my money back. So had it not been for your wife needing the computer, you would've been the one to be dissapointed. I think now that I've actually seen it up close and stuff, I may just spend the extra money and get the VF-160..because just look at it this way..
1.30GB hard drive as opposed to a 128MB card, and $125 for a 512mb..
2.More tracks, better effects, beter mixing, higher bit rate.
3.If you ever want to record drums on the MR8, unless you have an external mixer, your screwed because of the 2 track simultaneous recording, where on the VF160 its 8.
3.onboard backup capabilities..you can save your songs in 3 different ways on the vf160, wav, you can save it like a stereo music cd, and you can save your stuff on backup to a cd in a certain file type to where you can upload it again later on with all the exact mixer settings and fx and everything..
take it from me, I got stuck with the Boss Br532 a while ago, and from now on i'm going to spend the extra money for the extra quality.

Buy cheap, buy twice. That's a saying I picked up on this BBS. It's a lesson most of us have learned the hard way.
The MR8 is for recording in combination with the pc. It's next to useless as a stand alone recorder, unless your songs are all under three minutes. So this faulty MR8 actually did you a favor. You now realize what it is you want. I myself have the MR8 and can't speak highly enough of it's capabilities when it is used correctly. Good luck with the VF160, it sounds like a great machine.

Re: it was me

Jon Ross said:
I may just spend the extra money and get the VF-160..because just look at it this way..
1.30GB hard drive as opposed to a 128MB card, and $125 for a 512mb..

1.30GB ????

The VF 160 comes stock with a 20GB hardrive.

MR-8

As I languish in regret over not waiting and buying the VF-160. I honestly didn't research the VF before, I just considered the price tags, and finances being as they are right now (right then), bought the MR-8.

I received somewhat ambiguous information from the techs at fostex concerning compatability with Win98se.

Buy cheap, buy twice is indeed true in my case as well, because I now have had to buy a new computer to accomodate Mr. 8 (sic).
Oh well, I needed a new computer anyway! (as he tries to justify to himself)

Wait until you start to access the editing possibilities of the pc, you are going to be one happy guy. I just mixed and mastered a tune, which after a lot of work, turned out really well. All of the improvements I made came about because of the options that the pc offers. The sky's the limit when you dump your tracks into the computer. Go research some of the available plugins and you'll see what I mean. I bet you'll be really happy with your setup once you get comfortable with it.

Re: Re: it was me

Kramer said:
1.30GB ????

The VF 160 comes stock with a 20GB hardrive.

The number 1 was used to number the point as he did with 2 and 3. It should read, "1. 30 Gb hard drive" not ".30 gb hard drive".

Re: Re: Re: it was me

turntablist said:
The number 1 was used to number the point as he did with 2 and 3. It should read, "1. 30 Gb hard drive" not ".30 gb hard drive".

yeah,I meant to take the one out....it comes stock with a 20GB hardrive,not a 30gig drive.

Should you ever...

Should you ever make the same mistake again, I will send my vicious hamsters and newts to gnaw at your toenails.

Now that's not nice. A man needs his toenails, and besides it was only a typo. Those newts do get pretty vicious though, you got any extra?

-ok

Its hard to walk without toenails...

A rat once stole my toenails and I couldn't walk for 2 weeks till they grew back...

Well I could walk a little bit, more like a shuffle kinda.... with a bit of a limp....

:confused:

Newts

I have three of the vicious little things, I believe two males and one female. Had two females but one "disappeared"...

hmmmmm...

I had a prarie dog which devoured all the toilet paper in my house, and any other like paper product. He was like a squirrel in that there was no way of deterring him, he couldn't be bargained with, he couldn't be reasoned with, he just kept coming, until it was EATEN!!! And then he would steal toenails.

No wonder they carry monkey pox...

Re: it was me

Jon Ross said:
Hey JMAN, I honeslty couldn't beleive my eyes when i just read your post. I actually bought the last one, it was $229.99 plus s&h, but get this, I waited the 5 days, it was delivered, i take it out of the box..Not a single scratch or dent on it..it was totally perfect looking, and I was like, no way, I'm so lucky..Then i plug it in, and turn it on..the lights flash, and then nothing..try it again in a different outlet, nothing..I called up the MF tech support and he said it was a faulty unit. So as we speak it's being fedex'd back to MF for my money back.

I got an MR-8 "Scratch and Dent" a while back and it was absolutely perfect! $240 and the only thing wrong with it is that it didn't come in the factory box! Musicians Friend tests units before putting them up for sale again...maybe yours broke in shipping Jon. I wouldn't let that discourage people from ordering these returned items in the future though. You got a lemon, but most of the time you just get a really great deal!

And as others have said, the MR-8 is great as a digital recorder for a first-timer. But it's not great for editing, mixing, etc. But you can so easily transfer stuff to a PC that it really isn't much of an issue that you only have the 128 mb to work with. That "3 minute barrier" thing is really only an issue if you're using lots of different tracks, which a newbie rarely does, or doing lots of editing (which requires extra memory to cut and paste, etc.).

The MR-8 is a great unit! But as a standalone recorder, it's not so hot if you want to produce something that really sounds great.

Back