OK to Send 1 Mic Output to Stereo Inputs Using Just a Y Cable?

Mark H.

I know that I can send a mono mic signal to stereo inputs on a cassette or minidisc recorder using a mixer, but if I use a mono mic preamp (such as the small Rane MS-1), can the output be safely split to stereo inputs without damaging either the preamp or the recorder?

Mark H.

In a word, sure. There'll be a slight impedence mismatch but not too earth shattering. Just do a little A/B experiment (split and not split) and see if you can live with the difference.

Rane RS-1 Blues

Cool. I'll try it as soon as my *new* Rane MS-1 arrives from Canada, hopefully this month. I have bad karma with the RS-1 power supply that comes with it. The first one was taped up in bubble wrap, and cutting it open I managed to cut through the fragile (6-wire) side of the power cable. After several unsuccessful attempts to splice the tiny wires back together, into the trash it went. The second was literally lost in the mail somewhere between Eureka and Woodland, which is only five hours from here. Priority Mail took seven days, and the shipper has proof of "delivery" from the Post Office. I wonder who got it? I've now ordered another entire used MS-1 with a slightly different I/O configuration (and yet another RS-1 power supply to accompany it). Jeez, I hope it's not just awful! :-)

Thanks, Track Rat.

Mark H.

Back