Ok..so I did something stupid (I think)

Gabriel_0

Was going to bed and I had thought i had my Zoom MRS1608 and my wharfdales turned off so I turned the power off at the surge strip as i do every night after everything has been shut down. I then realized what a stupid thing i did when i watched the blue power lights on my wharfdale slowly fade. Obviously everything was still on, thankfully the HD on my recorder wasn't active. Is this something I need to worry about. My Zoom manual says to be certain i turn off the unit using the on/off switch. :confused:

TIA
Gabriel

EDIT: I turned everything back on again and everythinfg seems to be functioning ok so far. So does turning the power off at the power strip or the Zoom make any difference?

Not being an electronics expert, I asked someone who is, and this is what he told me:

"It shouldn't effect it unless it's designed really srewed up". But he added that it's not a habit you want to get into. House currents are designed with a positive and negative pole, so there shouldn't be any residual current beyond what the capacitor will hold. You simply interupted the power at the strip instead of the on/off switch on the Zoom.
Bottom line is you didn't hurt it, but don't make a habit of turning it off there.

This advice from an 20+ years experience Navy Electronics Technician.
I thanked him for you.

Rokket

I used to have a MRS1266. I think you can lose what you've recorded if you don't shut down properly and it's not good for the machine.

As a one off it seems not to have caused any problems but I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it.

Thanks for the reply guys. This is the 1st and probably the last time I will ever do this. Just had a brain fart last night I suppose, I'm normally very keen on turning off my equipment in proper order. I was reading the manual last night and it cautioned in

"you must never turn the power off by unplugging the AC adapter while the HDD ACCESS Indicator is lit. Doing so may damage the internal hard disk, causing all data to be lost permanently"

Fortunately I was getting ready for bed so all my recording was done and the machine was in standby mode if you will. Sure was a scary moment though ...lol

Gabriel

I have a Zoom MRS1044 and I have it on a computer UPS. I keep the other stuff such and speakers and drum machines on a different power strip. The switch for the battery backup is under my desk and hard to get to so I pretty much have to turn it off by using the power switch on the unit.
I'm glad it worked out OK for you. One time my wife turned my recorder off by the outlet strip switch and I got wise and did it the way it is now.

Back