ok-- im an idiot

Cool John

i just got a used Ibanez guitar....and for some reason the whammy bar (the first one ive ever used) is very loose and it swings aroung a lot....is this supposed to happen?? can i make it stay stiffer so that im not chasing it around the whole guitar?

Cool John said:
i just got a used Ibanez guitar....and for some reason the whammy bar (the first one ive ever used) is very loose and it swings aroung a lot....is this supposed to happen?? can i make it stay stiffer so that im not chasing it around the whole guitar?

You're not an idiot. Pull it out and you'll see a little plastic bushing. You can get them for next to nothing at music stores and that will tighten it right up. It's a wear item and when you buy a new Ibanez there's usually a pack of them in the case or in a plastic bag hanging off the guitar.

If the little housing where the whammy plugs into is lose, you'll feel a certain amount of "free play" in the bar. That can be fixed easily also. The receiving hole where the whammy bar goes in has two ridges in it for a tool. You can use a large flat-head screwdriver to screw it back in. If it doesn't work, you need to hold the nut on the other end, which requires you to take off the bridge. All you have to do is take off the strings and the bridge comes right out.

Hope that helps.

(Oh, and incase you weren't aware, the whammy bar comes out by pulling it out!)

I think generally they are left loose. What you do is grab the bar near the 90 degree bend with your pinky and pull it into your palm ala Mr. Rock Star. If I remember right with the Ibanez, you can push the bar in furthur until it "clicks" and it remains stationary....perhaps someone can confirm? Of course, if you don't like it as loose as it is then follow Agtronic's advice.

Back