ok i just want to make sure i got this right

tbone36109

http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/product_info.php?products_id=52
ok so if i was looking to make accoustic panels and i bought this package from aboveit would be enough to make 3 2'x4' panels. Also all i would have to do it mount each board in a frame made of 2"x4" pieces of wood and cover it in a material like burlap.
is this all right? also is there a better place to buy this stuff, i cant seem to find anywhere to buy stuff in alabama so im looking online.
thanks

Yes. That will make 3 full size 2'x4'x4" panels.

For the frame, rip 1x6 down to 4" and use that - 2x4 will be too heavy and bulky.

Or, if you want it lighter, some people use drywall corner bead riveted together - you just need to have some reinforcement on the top of it to support the weight as the corner bead won't support it by itself.

Bryan

tbone36109 said:
http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/product_info.php?products_id=52
ok so if i was looking to make accoustic panels and i bought this package from aboveit would be enough to make 3 2'x4' panels. Also all i would have to do it mount each board in a frame made of 2"x4" pieces of wood and cover it in a material like burlap.
is this all right? also is there a better place to buy this stuff, i cant seem to find anywhere to buy stuff in alabama so im looking online.
thanks
I know where to get rockwool in Montgomery.Masters insulation,Oliver rd.

If I was you I would buy from Bryan. Not only is he a great guy, but will give you great advice. Yes you have to pay for shipping, but if you are going to go the DYI route it is good to have him on your side.

Glenn

myfipie said:
If I was you I would buy from Bryan. Not only is he a great guy, but will give you great advice. Yes you have to pay for shipping, but if you are going to go the DYI route it is good to have him on your side.

Glenn
I'm sure Bryan is a great guy and all but,it does not make sense to order
a product and pay more for it,when you can get it local.I bought mine in bundles of 5.2x4x4" 8lb density for $20 per bundle.If he had to pay shipp-
that price would likely double.That extra money would be better spent on the materials to build the frames and the fabric to cover them.

bpape said:
Yes. That will make 3 full size 2'x4'x4" panels.

For the frame, rip 1x6 down to 4" and use that - 2x4 will be too heavy and bulky.

Or, if you want it lighter, some people use drywall corner bead riveted together - you just need to have some reinforcement on the top of it to support the weight as the corner bead won't support it by itself.

Bryan
I dont understand why you would recommend ripping down a 1x6 when you can by 1x4's.To be honest,1x4's are overkill too,because rockwool is so heavy already.
Why not use cheap 1x2 furring strips and build a braced frame the same
dimension as the rockwool bats,lay the wool on the front and wrap with fabric and staple it to the back of the frame.
For those of you out there that intend to use rockwool for anything,be
advised that if you expose yourself to it without using the proper pro-
tection,there is a risk of silicosis.You should always wear a dust mask
(and a good one)when handling this stuff.You should make certain to
completely encase the Rockwool with fabric,and give the fabric a coat of latex paint.(make sure to wash the fabric first,because it will shrink from the
water in the paint)

SHEPPARDB. said:
I bought mine in bundles of 5.2x4x4" 8lb density for $20 per bundle..
cutting that in half i could get a little large 2.6x4x4 for 10 dollars each. considering i have plenty of material lying around i could use(or should i stick with burlap) this is alot cheaper than i expected

Well, first of all, 1x4 is only .75 x 3.5" so it's not big enough to do a full perimeter.

If you want to just do the backer with 1x2 you can do that but you won't get good looking edges. When you stretch the fabric to get it to look tight, the edges will crush.

If you're concerned about edge absorbtion, then just bore holes in the perimeter frame.

As for buying local - sure. If you can get a good price and not have to pay shipping, go for it.

tbone36109 said:
cutting that in half i could get a little large 2.6x4x4 for 10 dollars each. considering i have plenty of material lying around i could use(or should i stick with burlap) this is alot cheaper than i expected
Actually you can buy 2X4X2" 8LB density rockwool from the same place.

bpape said:
Well, first of all, 1x4 is only .75 x 3.5" so it's not big enough to do a full perimeter.

If you want to just do the backer with 1x2 you can do that but you won't get good looking edges. When you stretch the fabric to get it to look tight, the edges will crush.

If you're concerned about edge absorbtion, then just bore holes in the perimeter frame.

As for buying local - sure. If you can get a good price and not have to pay shipping, go for it.

Bryan you are the worst salesman I have ever met, but you can sell for me any day!!! :D ;)

Glenn

myfipie said:
Bryan you are the worst salesman I have ever met, but you can sell for me any day!!! :D ;)

Glenn
o haha i just noticed he has the website in his sig, does bryan own them or work for them ?

Back