Ok, I just got a new mixer and mic..... i need some help

Revone

Well for awhile i have been just recording with a dynamic mic and software , decided i needed some new equipment so i picked up a Behringer MX602A 6-Channel mixing console and a Rode NT1 for both were on sale.

I've had my soundcard for awhile , it has SPDIF In & Outs, AUX L & R , Midi In's n Outs, and on the back it has like digital in's n out .. and some other stuff

I wanna hook my mic into my mixer then have it go through the mixer into my computer (recording software) (if thats how you set it up)

i got a high to low impedence(transformer) aka XLR female to 1/4" for my mic cord.

1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable with 1/4" adapter for my mixer

how do i hook this thing up ... i tryed one way but it didn't work, its really getting on my nerves, can anyone help me out, please!!

thanks

If that mixer has XLR inputs you will get better quality using a regular XLR cable. No reason to use the transformer.

The most basic way to hook up the mixer is to run the Main Outs to the Line Inputs on your sound card.

Read your manual and it will explain some of this stuff. If you dont like the manual then go to www.mackie.com and read the manual for whatever mixer behringer ripped off from them. The mackie manuals are great for beginners.

Don't connect your main outs to your souncard inputs....connect your aux sends to your s'card inputs...save main outs for connecting your monitors to them...I think this works better for me...liike this you could perhaps have your effects on the tracks while tracking them for the sake of hearing effects on the monitors but not havin them recorded as you wouldnt send the effects to your aux (which you're sending to the card)....
Thats if you're not using your s'ware to monitor thru it....

First off.... forget about your adapters. You probably don't need them. Plug the NT1 into the XLR inputs of your mixer. It has XLR inputs, yes? Get rid of the XLR/1/4" adapter. For the NT1, you'll have to enable the phantom power on your mixer.

Okay... now out to the soundcard. There are lots of ways of doing this, starting with Roker1's suggestion. (which I'll have to try that... Thanks, Roker!!) Here's the way I do it, and it works fine.... The main outs from your mixer can go to your soundcard. (I am assuming your soundcard has 1/4" inputs?? What card are you using?) This allows you to adjust the headphone level (which is linked to the control room outs) without altering the output level to your soundcard. I route my 2tk out (the RCA outputs) to my monitoring system.

As the say in France, Quebec, and New Orleans.... voila!!

Chris

Oh, yeah... a lot of people around here HATE Behringer stuff. Don't take them TOO much to heart. I have a couple of pieces of Behringer gear, and am quite happy with both of them!!

Ok thanks for the help..

Ok, the Main Outs have L and R i would need some kinda of double cord to go into both of those inputs and come out and then into computer? what kinda cord do i need? Plus my soundcard is a peice of crap , only 1/4" inputs it has is my mic input 2 whitch is shared with Line 2 ... all the rest are like 1/8" and completely different like SPDIF i have no clue what kinda cord needs for that but i don't think i can use SPDIF, i do not have money for a new soundcard , i am not going to buy a new soundcard either. there has to be a way to hook it up to my soundcard...

I thought i explained what my soundcard has, SPDIF in/out , AUX 2 L & R , Line in 2/Mic in 2 (1/4") , Headphone Input (1/4") , Midi In/Outs (no need for this im just mentioning it) , Optical In/out but my mixer does not have Optical, anyways... thats pretty much it.

It has some stuff at the back of my soundcard too, like Digital In/Out (its 1/8" all of the inputs on the back are 1/8")

I'll go pick up the XLR to XLR cable today, i just paid 40$ for a XLR to 1/4" cable , damnit. What other cables am i gonna need judging by the mainout or whatever and my soundcard inputs.....?

help mee!, thanks for the help up to now.

40 views? 3 replys? can i lease get some HELP!>

thank you

Last edited:
Cmon everyone else's threads are getting replys, when someone who actually needs help is getting slept on, HELLO? please help me set this up.

thanks

You have a couple of options. I assume you have a Soundblaster Live! w/ the Live Drive.

You can go Behringer Tape Out L/R RCA plugs to Aux-In L/R RCA on the Live Drive.

Another option would be to get a 1/4" mono L/R to 1/4" stereo single 1/4"stereo adapter and then an adapter to drop it down to 1/8" from 1/4". Instead of using the 1/8" stereo line-in on the back of the soundcard, you could use the 1/4" Line2-In with the volume knob turned off. The problem with this one is that I'm not sure that Line2-In is a stereo input.

Hope this helps a little.

My card is a Audigy Platinum, i got it cheap but i wish i would of got a Delta 44 now, oh well i will sooner or later, i jsut wanna know how to hook my mixer to my soundcard/computer.

thanks for the help

The Audigy is essentially an updated Live! version.

The above examples are for connecting from your mixer to your soundcard. Where it says anything about 1/4" connect the main-outs of the mixer to your mono-to-stereo Y adaptor and plug into your soundcard.

Don't worry about saving your Main Outs since you have Control Room outs to use for your monitors if you decide to use them.

The alternate route that I suggested would be to take regular RCA cable and connect from your Tape-Out L/R to soundcard Aux-in L/R. No adaptors are required for this configuration.

Evildick said:

The alternate route that I suggested would be to take regular RCA cable and connect from your Tape-Out L/R to soundcard Aux-in L/R. No adaptors are required for this configuration.

Can i take RCA and put it in my AUX SEND on my mixer to my AUX L & R ?

thanks for the help, im gonna try out what you said, appreciate it man

Sure you can, but I don't see why you would want to. You would want to save these for an effects loops from rack gear, cue mix, or a monitor mix.

I'm not sure what the wiring diagram looks like for your mixer, whether the Aux-sends are pre or post fader. If the naming is what concerns you, you don't need to match Aux with Aux, Tape w/ Tape, and Main w/ Main.

SPINSTERWUN said:
Just go out of the mixer in to the soundcard, then out of the soundcard in to your amp/monitors.

Its not that easy because you not being specific at all, anyways thanks.... Evil ... im gonna do it your way with the tape out l/r to aux-in l/r, thanks

peace

Back