Ok I can't decide.....John Hardy M-1/M-2 or Great River ME-2NV

chadsxe

I am in the market for an new 2 channel pre. I have narrowed it down to John Hardy M-1/M-2 and the Great River ME-2NV. To be honest I narrowed it down to these two based on repuation alone. I don't know to much about the sonic characteristics outside the ME-2NV being slightly colored and slightly clean when wanted. I know each will be a keeper for a very long time but like everyone else I want as much input as possible. I do Metal - Rock - and very rarely Blues.

Thanks

Chad

Well, chadsxe, as someone who loves and uses both those pres, if you do metal, rock and blues you don't want the Hardy M1/M2. IMO, the choice is pretty easy. The Great River ME-2NV is the way to go in this case.

Dot said:
Well, chadsxe, as someone who loves and uses both those pres, if you do metal, rock and blues you don't want the Hardy M1/M2. IMO, the choice is pretty easy. The Great River ME-2NV is the way to go in this case.

Are you recommending this based of the Hardy's "clean" sound. I own a Grace 101, and as far as I can tell that thing is crazy clean.

The 101 is transformerless and transparent. The Hardy is clean, but not transparent [ with the transformer option - which is the only way to go, IMO. ] Hardy pres are considerably better quality than the 101. But the M-1 works much better on acoustic music than it does for metal/rock. Actually, for rock the M-1 is a pretty whimpy pre. You need something with more energy and balls – like Great River NV, API, Phoenix Audio, Vintech...

Given the situation here, by a long shot I would choose the Great River. However, if you don't already have any really nice preamps, either one will seem incredible when you use it. The Great River will really "excite" you though.

Back