Ok how many strat and or fender guitar lovers?

I dig the older strats and the new G&L. I have fat fingers(I'm a bass player, what can I say) Gibsons scales are too small for my. I feel stupid above the 12th fret. Stumbling over my fingers isn't fun.

Hey no knocking kurt cobain!
Hes the reason I picked up the guitar....
I first heard smells like teen spirit, it sounded amazing!
Yeah he isnt the best player but he was an interesting player, and came up with some cool stuff, so I will mention him in the same breath with Jimi Hendrix, stevie ray, and Buddy holly(who wasnt a stevie or jimi btw)......
I miss my mexi strat!!!!!

Hey Daddio,

This brainless wonder's been teaching guitar for 12 years, with over 70 students a week, and a waiting list for the last 3 years.

As for your shots at Cobain, it show's you have no regard for songwriting, or the ability to create/convey emotion. Cobain was miles ahead of SRV in this, despite his obvious technical shortcomings.

As far as Strats go, I've had 2 USA's and a Japanese. I've also had 4 USA Tele's including a 65. Since I've gotten my Les Pauls, and a PRS, I don't want any of them back. Necks were too thin, fretboards flat, and no sustain. The only thing I liked was the neck pickup, especially with a nice chorus Robert Cray style.

I know myself, I went with Strats/Teles, because they were cheaper and more widely available. Once I tried Gibson, I'm sold. Just curious how many of the Fender diehards here, have a had a nice Gibson or PRS, and still prefer Fender?

in response to jvasey:
My Fenders are only part of my entire guitar collection. I could list them all, but I'm just too dang tired. It does include 2 Gibson Les Pauls and a Parker Fly Deluxe (No PRS's, but I do have Dragon pickups in an Epi LP). While these are my most expensive electric guitars, I still love my Fenders the most. I only use the Les Pauls on really heavy songs or when I'm playing session and it is requested. The Fly is really the only guitar I *might* like as much as my Fenders, and that's just because it is an amazing guitar.
I love Fenders!

Well, Ive always played a "strat" style guitar. Upgrading through the years has gotten me many a guitar. I have to say I really liked my Hamer Chaparell back in the 80's. I just recently traded my mexican Fender strat for a custom ordered G&L Legacy, this guitar is a keeper. I no longer look at the electric guitars in the catalogs I receive in the mail. I'm sticking with this G&L, best Ive ever owned.

Now, If I can just afford an acoustic to make me fell the same way. Got an Ovation Balladeer in my head........

Came here by way of Tweedville - clicked your profile and this was your last post. Thanks T-ville---

A Stratocaster is the only legendary guitar! It has it all. Tone, comfort, looks and style - often imitated and always appreciated.

No arsenal is complete without at least one - just ask Inkvay Van Hailstone.

I Just got a new American Fat Strat last week and I love it.
I have bean wanting one for a long time. My Charvel/Jackson
is still cool, but the feel on that maple neck on my strat
is fantastic. I also like that all the pickup selections, and sounds, work so well together.

I own a Jap. Strat, Kramer Strat w/Warmoth birdseye maple neck and Chandler pickups, Gibson SG, and a PRS Custom. I have to say my Strats are more versitile and always sound very expressive. My Gibson and PRS have thicker sounds to them and are good for Rock but all in all I prefer my Strats.

jvasey,

...yes I do have a very high regaurd for song writing. Did you miss the BUDDY HOLLY part of my post? And since this is a site dedicated to recording, BUDDY HOLLY was extremly inovative in the studio. Some of his tricks are still used to this day. Not only was BUDDY a wonderful song writer, but a great composer who was so far ahead of his time. His songs contian intertwined threads and themes that always seem to be just right. And everytime I listen to his music I hear something that wasn't there before. Kids are still trying to figure out BUDDY'and TOMMY's licks almost fifty years since they played thier last chord together. BUDDY's music is timeless and almost half a century after his death,he continues to influence, captivate, mystify and inspire millions. He has crossed all musical lines and will be known to history as a musical genius. In the same manner as Motzart, Beetohven, and Gershwin. I not so certian that curt cocaine will viewed in that light in the year 2050.
And no SRV was not an inovative songwriter as far as lyricks, modes, scales, and chordal relationships go. But every time he played his Strat it was a unique masterpiece blending emotion, soul, deep roots and gobbs of talent into his version of the blues; always paying homage to the greats that came before him. I'll take "Pride and Joy" over "Smells Like Teen Spirit" anyday....

BUDDY HOLLY LIVES!

[Edited by Daddy-O on 10-12-2000 at 15:16]

Never knocked Buddy Holly, he was a great songwriter and guitar player. But like you said, SRV played and wrote albeit expressively in the confines of the tried and tested blues progressions. Smells Like Teen Spirit created a new one. Harder to do then you think.
Jeff

I've owned Strats in the past (have one now, don't play it), and I can't stand them. They have no guts, no crunch! It's ESP for me!

There's nothing that sounds like a Strat, and I happen to like it so I have 2. Saving up for a Telecaster as well. Nothing sounds quite as good to me as a good Strat through a quality tube amp. BTW, I can get mine to sound rather heavy when I need to.

Addicted to Fender Jazz,Precision and even the Squire P-Bass.
Besides these 3, the only other basses I've owned was an old-ass Guild,a Carlo Robelli Jazz-Copy and a Rickenbacker.
Fender Basses just sound so right and and the action is smooth.

STRAT TONES!

Yep......the strat is one great guitar.Think of all the different gorgeous tones we've all heard from various players through the years.As far as hearing them all through one player (which is actually just a dream)check out Eric Johnson.....you don't have to like his playing to appreciate the wide array of tones he hets...plus,anyone who thinks that Strats won't crunch,listen to Johnson!

I haven't heard anything he's done in about the last 7 years. Not since Cliffs of Dover and that record. I always thought he was a little too chorus-y and delayed. Kinda like a tone-gag. Has he changed much? Actually I feel the same about David Gilmour in the FLink Poyd stuff, eg last 3 albums.

Can't think of any strat tone that made me fall in love. Had the guitar before I knew anything about tone. Anybody else?

Man, there's nothing that has better tone to me than a Strat. I can buy the argument of the Strat not being the best guitar for heavy sounding stuff, but it is THE tone monster. Clapton, SRV, Jeff Beck are just a few of my favorite players with tone to spare. Eric Johnson does tend to have too much chorusy sounding stuff, but the tone is still in there. I haven't heard anyone that can play flawless runs like him and still sound so melodic and keep that same tone as when he hits a single note.

Let's list some non-Strat players that are generally regarded as having some of the greatest tone around.

Back