OK BOYS! The Verdict is In - New Nady 1050 vs. Sure 58

JPlush76

I just did a quick take with the new nady 1050 for the first verse and first chorus and then another track with a sure 58 for the 2nd verse and chorus, through the same pre-amp both with same reverb and compression settings

here is the mp3... what do you guys think? is it worth keeping the nady or should I return it for a different condenser mic?

since I never owned a condenser before I'll trust your judgement on the sound quality.

VS

p2487D.jpg

This has been fun following you around, J. :)

To my ears, the nady sounds more transparent. It lets the voice sit in the mix well without taking over. Gives it a little bite to cut through those thick guitars and bass tracks.

The 58 sounded damn good, too. There were some performance issues with the 58 take that made it harder to judge, though. Was the singer holding onto the mic or moving around a bit? The vocals cut out a couple times.

I liked the sound of both, really. The nady sounds more...real. The 58 sounds more live. I'd say its a good mic.

What is your opinion of it now that you've used it?

Take care,
Chris

lol yea I have the 58 in my hands while I was sitting here in the chair, I didn't feel like undoing the shockmount on my stand

<-- lazy :)

the 58 sounded better than I thought it would for "shure" hehe

you've got a 'neat-o" looking mic in a groovy shockmount, that looks uptown... and you want it to so badly to just whip the shin-o-la outta your 'tried and true' regular looking sm58, because that "stylish" shockmounted mic just says; "I mean business, cause I looks cool in da studio."......right?? right??? c'mon....right???;)

personally, [and not rudely...really], I think mic choices of the one you're trying to make now, will yield minimal improvement results, VS better recording techniques, from listening to your mp3. (btw, nice song..lots of creativity...just plain jane recording..ala home brew)

I can certainly understand a second opinion....but If your "ears" are asking "us", on an internet board, which mic sounds best on YOUR stuff, you need to get those ears in a little better shape, and have more confidence with your own decisions.

yes, the shockmount said "I MEAN BUSINESS" :)

I can't help it, I'm an impulse buyer

and your right, my ears do need more training, thats why I posted the before and after to see if you guys can help me get those ears where they need to be.

I really don't know what to look for other than the basic it sounds somewhat better

i just wanna be able to get a mic I can live with for vocal applications

mixmkr, can you recommend any good books out there on getting started with recording techniques?

I definately think there is room for improvement there

you can also compare my vocals to these mp3's done at a professional studio with producer Jim Wirt

http://www.drawingdown.com/mp3.php

I'd still take the Shure every time!

And you can't really compare MP3s with any validity - ATRAC responds differently to different signals each time - invalidating any consistency in be able to make a reasonable comparison.......

Blue Bear Sound said:
I'd still take the Shure every time!

And you can't really compare MP3s with any validity - ATRAC responds differently to different signals each time - invalidating any consistency in be able to make a reasonable comparison.......

Huh? What did you just say??? :D

Blue Bear, I think you just have a problem with givin' up the love to a Nady. Give it up, Bear. Give up the love. Who's yer cheap daddy, huh? Nady, that's who. Now, where's the loooove???? :D

The Nady seems usable. It's hard to say because to be honest neither of the vocal sounds were that great. I think if you work on the micing technique you will be better able to judge what you think of the Nady.

I bought an SE5000 toob mic on an impulse and at first I thought it was pretty nice. But for some reason it was just hard to mix the tracks that used it. They just didn't sound right. There are probably some things that the mic is good for but I just haven't figured it out yet. Once I got a C1, v67 and v93 to work with I found the tracks mixing together much easier.

well to me the 58 just sounds a little warmer and the nady seems to sound tinny when I go higher and louder

what micing techniques are you suggesting I try?

TexRoadkill said:
I bought an SE5000 toob mic on an impulse and at first I thought it was pretty nice. But for some reason it was just hard to mix the tracks that used it. They just didn't sound right. There are probably some things that the mic is good for but I just haven't figured it out yet. Once I got a C1, v67 and v93 to work with I found the tracks mixing together much easier.

i have a se5000 and it sounds great(rap and R&B vocals)... a little cleaner than my tlm-103 but something to me now sounds better when i use the tlm-103...
i've compared it to a 4070 and a few other mics.. it sounds great...
my next mic.. i'll see, i can have my friend make me one.. or buy one under 1200...

this must be true because i heard about $.03 worth of difference...:)

how do you compare those 2 mics? one is $89 and the other is $229?

Count me into the 58 camp......

Sorry. I didnt hear enough of a difference in the takes and I dont care if I sound like a snob but i have no love for Nady. I would say it if I liked it better but I didnt. It is important to understand that a condenser is not a condenser is not a condenser. ie dont bother upgrading unless you are UP grading. A 58 is a wonderful mic. A cheap condenser will not beat it. You may think so at first and say "wow...its so open...listen to the top end." But this will pass and you will be sad and want to get rid of it. You will lose in the end.

Sorry for the rant but I know people will ask why I said the 58 so I answered early.

heylow

this is the wrong way to test a mic.

i though YOU were going to tell US how everything went.

you may have to do a little work before you can get your best sounds out of a new mic.

I got an RA number to return the darn thing

I'm heading to west LA music after work to grab me a shure ksm27 to see how that puppy compares, if its relatively the same I'll just keep the nady

Back