Ok, 3630, the best comp ever made......

g string

Yeah I know you would all use it as a door stop, boat anchor, book end, drink coaster, paper weight, gun target, frisbee, stick it under an uneven table leg, or maybe even as a compressor, blah blah, but....why has it been on the market for so long if it is such an inferior piece of equipment? You would think that if a piece of gear was sooooo bad that it would be taken off the market, or at least up graded or improved if nothing else. I'm sure Alesis hears all the great reviews that the 3630 gets. Wuts up.

It is still out there because it is cheap. It has been quite a while since I have seen one in a rack that was not more than 5 years old and most times people don't care for them, but the resale is so low on them that people keep them. Personally, I am very glad that I only rarely run up against them.

Official Sales Blurb About the 3630 said:
Great compression makes a huge difference in your music; it can turn a mediocre demo into a professional-quality production. The 3630 Compressor is designed as a high-quality, versatile compression unit which can be used live or in the studio with consistent results. The 3630 is a dual-channel compressor that offers Ratio, Threshold, Attack, and Decay controls to handle the toughtest signals. You can choose between RMS and Peak compression styles, plus Hard and Soft Knee dynamic curves for every application from subtle gain control to in-your face punch. Plus, 2 fully independent gates give you even more control when dealing with difficult signals. Other advanced dynamics processing features such as precise signal metering, a sidechain for keying or ducking effects, and stereo linkable operation make the 3630 the most powerful compressor in its class.

See? It's the most powerful compressor in its class. Can handle the toughest signals. Has in-your-face punch. Advanced dynamics processing. I have tough signals. I want punch.

I don't judge gear by sales blurbs though. I judge gear by weight. The 3630 weighs in at a full 2.6 lbs. It's just frosting on the cake that it will turn my mediocre demo into a professional quality production. It has a lot of lights on the front too, so it gets warm during use. I want warmth in my tracks. OK, the lights don't actually GET warm, but they LOOK warm and that's good enough for me. My RNC doesn't have nearly as many lights, and it's way too light weight. :eek:

One factor to bear in mind when purchasing electronics is that one should also be purchasing customer/technical support. Alesis' customer/technical support is like Behringer's--non-existent.
Buying Behringer or Alesis equipment is like a cheap blind date--you never know whether it'll put out.

Timothy Lawler said:
See? It's the most powerful compressor in its class. Can handle the toughest signals. Has in-your-face punch. Advanced dynamics processing. I have tough signals. I want punch.

I don't judge gear by sales blurbs though. I judge gear by weight. The 3630 weighs in at a full 2.6 lbs. It's just frosting on the cake that it will turn my mediocre demo into a professional quality production. It has a lot of lights on the front too, so it gets warm during use. I want warmth in my tracks. OK, the lights don't actually GET warm, but they LOOK warm and that's good enough for me. My RNC doesn't have nearly as many lights, and it's way too light weight. :eek:

LMAO!!! :D :D

I've got one. It's not great but it's not bad. It's not a compressor you buy to add that certain something to a track. It just compresses ...and gates. Boring really but sometimes you just need to be bored.

g string said:
It's the only one it's class........isn't it? :o

nope..

behringer autocom = (with slight deviation) 3630

i have a berrycom. it blows in every way possible. of course the POS isnt in my signal chain. its before my PA monitors for when i use vdrums through the PA. i figure i put it on limit, so if somethin spikes, i can burn the autocom and not my JBL's :D

i dont know, i paid like $20 for it. if anything, its a nice paperweight for all that sheet music that i dont know how to read.

mrT said:
there are certainly those that disagreee...
What exactly is the problem with it apart from an inability to add character? It doesn't seem to particularly mangle the signal.

They've sold enough over the years but are under-represented in the used-gear stores in the "cheap'n'cheerful" compressor section so that means people aren't trying to shift them compared to the really crappy cheapies.

iqi616 said:
It doesn't seem to particularly mangle the signal.

I think it does. I think it sounds like ass if you compress more than a few dbs but maybe it was just me?

mrT said:
I think it does. I think it sounds like ass if you compress more than a few dbs but maybe it was just me?
Maybe that's it. I don't hammer stuff with compression so I'm probably staying in its sweet zone. The magazine reviews said it was a pretty neutral compressor so I've never really tried to use it for a "compressed sound" or anything that I'd want to use a more character-imparting product for. In car terms I'd rate it as a Corolla.

Back