OH placement

xfinsterx said:
What does traditional mean to you??

A/B??

Any of the methods that involve the mics being "Over Head". I guess maybe my way of thinking is a bit narrow-minded though. But, XY, spaced pair, Glynn Johns, etc. all are over head as opposed to "close miced". Although some people do add close miced cymbal mics to the drum tracks that do have what I would call "traditional" OH's. The lines are pretty blurry, even to me I guess. I kinda suck at trying to explain myself on the internet too. :(

xfinsterx said:
What does traditional mean to you??

A/B??
It's semantics, mostly, but really there's a reason for terminology. When you talk about "drum bleed" in the "overheads" then you are not really talking about "overheads." You're talking about "cymbal mics." Which are different than "room mics."

At least I think that's what NL5 is getting at.....

OK, I assume that the blue circled mic's are close mic's for the China's, but aren't the red circled mic's straight OH's?

BTW - I am just trying to learn here as well, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Attachments

• drums.JPG
    drums.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 61
MadAudio said:
It's semantics, mostly, but really there's a reason for terminology. When you talk about "drum bleed" in the "overheads" then you are not really talking about "overheads." You're talking about "cymbal mics." Which are different than "room mics."

There are no traditional over heads.
Only close mics to capture the cymbals.

There.

xfinsterx - Wow seriously the drums in the sample you provided sound soooooo good. The song is pretty kick ass too! I think I am going to have to try this as well.... along with the rest of the experimentation with overheads and placement with that...
Also did you say you trigger some stuff? It sounds like the kick is triggered but I can't tell if anything else on the kit is or not.. Seriously dude mad props for that it really is up there with all the commercial stuff!

MadAudio said:

Yes, OH's are to capture the whole kit with two mic's vs. close mic'd cymbals as I think Chris is saying he does......

NL5 said:
OK, I assume that the blue circled mic's are close mic's for the China's, but aren't the red circled mic's straight OH's?

BTW - I am just trying to learn here as well, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Well this photo is a loose example.....(it isnt my setup) I personally would have the crash mics closer to the cymbal. Therefore rendering a tag of "close mic", as opposed to "overheads"

The Left and Right "close mics" would be strictly for recording the two cymbals on the left and right side. Every large cymbal gets its own mic.

sirslurpee said:
xfinsterx - Wow seriously the drums in the sample you provided sound soooooo good. The song is pretty kick ass too! I think I am going to have to try this as well.... along with the rest of the experimentation with overheads and placement with that...
Also did you say you trigger some stuff? It sounds like the kick is triggered but I can't tell if anything else on the kit is or not.. Seriously dude mad props for that it really is up there with all the commercial stuff!

The kick is a 50/50 mix of trig and mic.
Same with the snare.

The toms are all natural.

And good luck, have fun experimenting.

xfinsterx said:
Well this photo is a loose example.....(it isnt my setup) I personally would have the crash mics closer to the cymbal. Therefore rendering a tag of "close mic", as opposed to "overheads"

The Left and Right "close mics" would be strictly for recording the two cymbals on the left and right side. Every large cymbal gets its own mic.

Ahhh. OK.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions!!! :D :D :D

Dogman said:
I have some MSH mics, and even though I don't know how to play drums, I set them up as OH's and tried them out. I think they capture a really good sound, considering.
Drums

I had just cleaned my room, and moved the drums, and stuck the mic stand right behind me, about 6 feet up, mics pointing down a bit toward the Toms.

BTW...I've never hit a drum before last week, so the playing is nothing, just the sounds it recorded. I use a DMP3 for a pre.

Tune them heads and I think you'll be on your way.

Back