Oh oh oh! I got a good one to ask about here! Focusrite VRM

FoulPhil

Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone has used this Focusrite VRM - Virtual Reference Monitor? As far as I can tell it only comes in this little Focusrite VRM Box and the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP. I'll copy and paste the basic info about what it actually is and then provide a link for those who haven't seen it to check out.

Focusrite’s VRM overcomes the major obstacle for mixing with headphones by giving you multiple perspectives on your mix, as if you were listening through speakers. Indeed, noise levels from mixing through speakers can make it impossible for most to mix at home, especially late at night; with VRM, you can mix any time, anywhere. Using any pair of monitoring headphones, VRM lets you choose your mixing environment from a living room, a bedroom studio, or a professional studio. You then simply choose from a list of industry-standard studio monitors and speakers.

Focusrite VRM - Virtual Reference Monitor Box | Musician's Friend

Has anyone used one of these and can you tell us about how good it works or if it even works at all? It seems like a really cool little doodad to me. From some of the reviews I've read they say you no longer will need to check you mixes on the car stereo or various other listening devices because they come built in to the BOX. Freaking sweet if you ask me. So, what do you know about it?

I'm holding out for the "bottom of the swimming pool" (AKA the Brian Jones) and "stop-and-rob convenience store" algorithms.

Classical producers are breathlessly awaiting the "womb" sims so they can hear what fetuses with headphones strapped to their mom's bellies will hear.

These are exciting times to be alive, amigo.

Classical producers are breathlessly awaiting the "womb" sims so they can hear what fetuses with headphones strapped to their mom's bellies will hear.

These are exciting times to be alive, amigo.

So, you don't think this contraption is all it's cracked up to be or do you just not believe in new innovations of the recording industry?

When these guys do it, it's an advancement of technology.

Constellation : Acoustic System

The VRM to me just looks like a gimmicky headphone amp. Who wants to mix on headphones?

And why does it seem so many "solutions" to an audio "problems" are available at the $99 price point?

When these guys do it, it's an advancement of technology.

Constellation : Acoustic System

The VRM to me just looks like a gimmicky headphone amp. Who wants to mix on headphones?

And why does it seem so many "solutions" to an audio "problems" are available at the $99 price point?

A lot of people do mix on headphones. I wouldn't say it's impossible lol. The theory of it seems sounds to me. Not as good as having a specially designed, treated room and the most expensive monitors money can buy. Lots of people still check their mixes and masters on the car stereo just to see how it's going to sound. I would say $99 dollars is a good starting point compared to a $12 dollar pair of desktop speakers. I would probably take a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 headphones and the VRM box over some M-Audio BX5A or KRK Rockit 5s lol. That's within the same price range and I think you would get way more out of it :D

A lot of people do mix on headphones. I wouldn't say it's impossible lol. The theory of it seems sounds to me. Not as good as having a specially designed, treated room and the most expensive monitors money can buy. Lots of people still check their mixes and masters on the car stereo just to see how it's going to sound. I would say $99 dollars is a good starting point compared to a $12 dollar pair of desktop speakers. I would probably take a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 headphones and the VRM box over some M-Audio BX5A or KRK Rockit 5s lol. That's within the same price range and I think you would get way more out of it :D

I would have to say, that in my own opinion, I would rather mix on a set of cheap computer speakers, than on headphones. I personally cant stand how much the isolation messes with my ears. Hell, 10 minutes of tracking with cans on, and I seem to loose my equilibrium, and walk funny. It just isn't natural to me.

I actually get more useable info about a mix from my Phillips computer speakers, than I ever did with the KRK Rockit 5's. Those things just lie, lie, lie, taint, and lie. Just my opinion. :)

I spent most my teenage years and some of my adult years listening to music in headphones lol. I had to drown out all of life's noise some how. Going back and forth to work catching the city buss some good head phones and cool tunes makes it that much better. Never really had a problem with it. I'll pick up a VRM box just for kicks eventually. Not any time soon, but then I'll tell ya what I think about it :D

I hate headphones. I have a pair of HD280's and can't stand them. The sound reproduction is fine enough but the closed-back nature of the design works out to weird little noises every time you move your head or breathe or blink. They feel claustrophobic in about 5 minutes time to me. I would love to find something else that doesn't come with all the artifacts just from having them stuck on your head.

I hate headphones. I have a pair of HD280's and can't stand them. The sound reproduction is fine enough but the closed-back nature of the design works out to weird little noises every time you move your head or breathe or blink. They feel claustrophobic in about 5 minutes time to me. I would love to find something else that doesn't come with all the artifacts just from having them stuck on your head.

I've never actually tried to mix on headphones, but I figured it might be fun to try it out. I've never experienced any of the things you guys are talking about. You would probably like the DT 880. Might try some next time you feel like buying something new. You can always return them if you don't like them, but might be a good solution :D

Back