OggVorbis beats MP3 encoding

invisiblemute

I know this is called MP3 Clinic but I just wanted to share my recent discovery which may very well be old news to many. OggVorbis is a _stunningly_ better compression technology than MP3 especially at low sampling rates. And it's Open Source which completely gets around the problems of proprietary codecs which MP3 technically is I believe (under Fraunhoffer).

Just try it for yourself. I can't believe how much better it is especailly at encoding upper frequencies.

http://vorbis.com

Re: Relevancy of post

studioviols said:
I think this post is very, very relevant to this board.

And I think this post is one of your shortest, Studioviols ;)

LOL

:D

Sorry I don't want to imply that MP3 is necessarily not Open Source. There is an OpenSource MP3 codec called LAME. But my testing so far has OggVorbis WAY ahead of MP3. Though I just got done encoding "Call Of The Wild" by GusGus which took ridiculously long for some odd reason.

Ahaaaaaaaaaa, I finally get it.

Invisiblemute is the first one using the right definition of a mp3 mixing clinic!

I've never understood the addition of the word 'mp3', btw. You can post wma's right? Or even wav's, if you like big? LOL :D

Why isn't it just called 'mixing clinic'?

the tech data and FAQ`s give some good insight to this alternative. I`m concerned about 2 things though. How much 3rd party support is out there as in player compatabilities, and with it being public domain will it support the one driver for industry and developers support , the $ angle. I'm gonna try it out in any case.

Good enough support as far as I know. Newest Winamp comes bundled with it. And there is a pretty comprehensive list of applications that support OggVorbis categorized by OS. Shouldn't be hard at all to slip in a tiny codec into existing players. I can't believe they've been at it since 93 or something. Feurio! my favorite CD-A ripper and burner has Ogg support in the works.

Ooo... crap! I'm sorry. I meant the newest version _2_ but I'm sure the newest Winamp flavor has it too. I agree that the new one sucks. But they must know this because they've continued developing series 2. I have 2.91 and it runs great. Highly recommended. But then again I've never used anything else beside WinMediaPlayer not have I had any reason to search for something better. Maybe easier integrated ID tag editting. But that's about it. Any suggestions?

We've discussed this one before and as I see it, the problem remains the same - namely that I'd have to download Winamp in order to hear vorbis files and that's not gonna happen. If Windows Media Player could play them I'd be all for it.

Chris

No one's trying to make you do anything you don't want. But Microsoft is deliberately not supporting it because Ogg competes with Microsoft's file format. Don't know if MS will ever package Ogg officially. I did a search and there are several people who've gotten Ogg to play in WMP unofficially.

Just a quick warning to other newbies using Media Player to go into prefs and shut everything off as far as auto tracking. Media Player default sends usage info and stats to Microsoft which bugs me out.

Back