ogg codec

ez-e

anyone experimented w/the ogg codec? I've heard from some of my audiophile friends that it works much better than MP3 and file sizes still stay small...

wanna say I was told that a 128 bit ogg file sounded better (in this guys opinion--take w/a grain of salt o'course) than a 512 bit mp3 and was smaller...but I could be mistaken...

I've just heard all this thru the grapevine and I've yet to try it out myself....just wondering if anyone else has...

EZ

I've just started this testing myself. The way the Ogg people designed it isn't to test constant bitrate. In fact the newest version of OggVorbis has "quality" settings that are more comparable to MP3 VBR mode. Vorbis claims quality setting of 6 (out of 10) is damn near indistinguishable from CD quality and it's nominal 212kbits. I just did an Ogg test on setting 0 (~64kbits) and it's damn near indistinguishable from the original WAV!

What bothered me most about MP3 under extreme compression is the odd ghosting of the highs and a weird flanging looseness of bass. I honestly don't hear that with Ogg. But I really want to do more tests. I'm pretty excited. These files are puny! This easily bests R*** which I must admit sounds better than MP3 especially at very low bit rates.

Now who has done tests with the new Quicktime streaming compression? Doesn't matter much to me considering it's a proprietary format.

I've been using it for some time now and I do all of my encoding in Vorbis (Ogg) format now. I think the quality is much better than mp3 especially at lower bitrates. I have encoded well below 128kbps and it still sounds pretty good.

I'm using OggDropXpd and it's been pretty good but it's slower than LAME encoders by an approximate factor of 10. What Ogg encoder are you using and are there other encoders that somehow work faster? Thanks.

Back