Odd things for sale?

Anyone need a steam locomotive? Only $27,500.00, not a bad price, cheaper than a Honda.
View attachment 135128
When we lived in Jersey we'd spend a weekend in Lancaster PA. Our favorite place to stay was the Red Caboose Motel. These are the separate rooms -
1702617811655.png
Next time I build a movie set...

What an incredible film that is.

The things these silent actors would do that could kill them, makes their performances brilliant and entertaining.

The rocks aren't real, everything else is. It's always Keaton. Can you imagine ANY modern actor doing that first tree bit?

When we lived in Jersey we'd spend a weekend in Lancaster PA. Our favorite place to stay was the Red Caboose Motel. These are the separate rooms -

When I visited Lancaster, my favorite place was the Wilbur Chocolate Factory in nearby Lititz. The dark chocolate Wibur Buds are heavenly!

I hate to say it but I spent my first 20 years on the Jersey shore. Then it was off to see the states. I went back once or twice for a visit.

View attachment 135164

What an incredible film that is.

The things these silent actors would do that could kill them, makes their performances brilliant and entertaining.

The rocks aren't real, everything else is. It's always Keaton. Can you imagine ANY modern actor doing that first tree bit?

Yup, they don't make movies like they used to. When it's all computer-generated tricks, it loses it's "art form" status.

When folks put stuff up for sale for like five bucks, are they lonely or really broke? Otherwise why bother?
If you pay a dollar and sell it for five, you make a $3 profit, and you get back $4. Do that about 100 times a year, and that's a 300% profit on your investment.

Some people just want to get rid of shit, and will sell it for nothing just to clear it out. Those people should just donate it to thrift shops.

Some people have stuff they no longer want, but don't want to give it away. So, they put it up to make a little money.

I sell shit for pocket change. I've spent 223.73 on crap and have made $1957.59 in profit. Since you get the money you spent on the items back, I've gotten $2181.32. Of course I charge for s/h, so that's already removed from these totals.
When I visited Lancaster, my favorite place was the Wilbur Chocolate Factory in nearby Lititz. The dark chocolate Wibur Buds are heavenly!
Yes it is. The dark chocolate are the best. After covid they basically did away with the samples. I'd eat like twenty when we're in the store.

If you ever go back. Do yourself a favor OREGON DAIRY RESTAURANT is excellent, especially the breakfast. It's a farm/restaurant/supermarket.
I hate to say it but I spent my first 20 years on the Jersey shore. Then it was off to see the states. I went back once or twice for a visit.
I grew up on Long Island (36 years). Once I hit 17, most of my nights were spent in NYC. In 96 I moved to NYC. Three years of hell. 24 hours of bass coming through the walls. I mean that, 24 hours. In 99 we moved to Iselin NJ. Moved to PA in 2021. I'll probably die here. But, I also said that about our first house in Iselin.
Yup, they don't make movies like they used to. When it's all computer-generated tricks, it loses it's "art form" status.
At how many points in that clip, regardless of the rocks being fake, could he have been hurt or killed? That tree stunt is phenomenal. Falling from that height. I certainly wouldn't do it. Many hate the old studio system. But, they created the greatest motion pictures of all time. They knew storytelling.

Yes it is. The dark chocolate are the best. After covid they basically did away with the samples. I'd eat like twenty when we're in the store.

If you ever go back. Do yourself a favor OREGON DAIRY RESTAURANT is excellent, especially the breakfast. It's a farm/restaurant/supermarket.

It's unlikely that I'll ever make it up there again. My company had a plant in Lancaster until 15 years ago. I had to do tech service work, plus I was on the training team when we rolled out a new software system, so I got to spend time there. The plant is long gone now, and I've been retired for almost 6 years.

I do remember being taken out a few times to some farm/restaurant in a town called Bird In Hand. It was on the way to Intercourse PA, which was always good for a joke.

Cheaper than a Honda or Toyota and better on gas. Only 4900.00
View attachment 135284
That's really cool. If I had a yard, I'd display it.
It's unlikely that I'll ever make it up there again. My company had a plant in Lancaster until 15 years ago. I had to do tech service work, plus I was on the training team when we rolled out a new software system, so I got to spend time there. The plant is long gone now, and I've been retired for almost 6 years.

I do remember being taken out a few times to some farm/restaurant in a town called Bird In Hand. It was on the way to Intercourse PA, which was always good for a joke.
It was probably Millers you went to. We eat at Dinners in Intercourse which is right next to a shoo fly pie place that looks like a windmill. The whole area is overcrowded with traffic now. But, along the back roads with farmland is incredibly beautiful.

The town names are hilarious. There is another, I just can't remember it, that's runs along with intercourse.

Anyone need a steam locomotive? Only $27,500.00, not a bad price, cheaper than a Honda.
View attachment 135128
There are a lot more folks in the market for something like that than most would think. If I had fuck you money I would definitely buy it, and lay tracks from my front door to my mail box. They are living history. I became interested after running across a series of short documentaries on an English guy buy the name of Fred Dibnah. The dude is was an old school Steeple Jack, and watching him demo smoke stacks the old way is a lot more entertaining than it may sound. When he wasn’t Steeple Jacking, he got up to all sorts of interesting stuff, like restoring steam engines and driving them thru town. If any of you are unaware of this guy, take a few and look him up. You can thank me later . A man can learn a lot from Fred, especially how to get shit done.

There are a lot more folks in the market for something like that than most would think. If I had fuck you money I would definitely buy it, and lay tracks from my front door to my mail box. They are living history. I became interested after running across a series of short documentaries on an English guy buy the name of Fred Dibnah. The dude is was an old school Steeple Jack, and watching him demo smoke stacks the old way is a lot more entertaining than it may sound. When he wasn’t Steeple Jacking, he got up to all sorts of interesting stuff, like restoring steam engines and driving them thru town. If any of you are unaware of this guy, take a few and look him up. You can thank me later . A man can learn a lot from Fred, especially how to get shit done.
My father built a miniature reciprocating steam engine. I still have it in a box. He built it from scratch by machining all the parts.

My father built a miniature reciprocating steam engine. I still have it in a box. He built it from scratch by machining all the parts.
That’s cool as can be man. I am working towards getting a mill, and several other items I would need to build some of the tools and projects that are on my bucket list. I am not a machinist, but I have done some welding and fabrication. Going to be a steep learning curve for me on machining detailed parts. I hope to get to a point where I can imagine something, draw it up, and build it right in my shop. You ever take that engine out of the box and run it? If so, you should video it. There is a lot of interest in stuff like that. My YouTube playlist is filled with machinist, engine builders, all sorts things to do with building. I’ve watched many of the small steam engine videos available, but most if not all were put together from kits, and anyone can do that. But the stuff that some guy built every part for, in his spare time, are always more interesting. Got any pics of it?

That’s cool as can be man. I am working towards getting a mill, and several other items I would need to build some of the tools and projects that are on my bucket list. I am not a machinist, but I have done some welding and fabrication. Going to be a steep learning curve for me on machining detailed parts. I hope to get to a point where I can imagine something, draw it up, and build it right in my shop. You ever take that engine out of the box and run it? If so, you should video it. There is a lot of interest in stuff like that. My YouTube playlist is filled with machinist, engine builders, all sorts things to do with building. I’ve watched many of the small steam engine videos available, but most if not all were put together from kits, and anyone can do that. But the stuff that some guy built every part for, in his spare time, are always more interesting. Got any pics of it?
No pics. I have run it on compressed air, not steam, my father ran it on steam, it needs a separate boiler. I was a machinist/CNC programmer for over fifty years. Any questions and I would be glad to help. I might go buy a small lathe today.
1703765231948.png

Last edited:
Man! You can make some pretty awesome stuff with that! What do you have in mind to make? How much would I expect to spend for a good lathe? Any name brands that are good enough quality to see me from newb on thru to kind of know what I’m doing?

Man! You can make some pretty awesome stuff with that! What do you have in mind to make? How much would I expect to spend for a good lathe? Any name brands that are good enough quality to see me from newb on thru to kind of know what I’m doing?
I called the guy to arrange to come and get it. He told me someone is on their way but you can come if you want. I told him, I can beat that guy there I am much closer but that wouldn't be fair. I told him let me know if he buys it which he did. I had him down to six hundred dollars for that lathe which would have been a great deal. It had 3 and 4 jaw chucks, face plates, steady rest, follower and a milling attachment. It had all the back gears for threading, if you don't have them you don't thread on these smaller older lathes. You should be able to pick up a decent lathe for under a grand. The main thing is it runs true and the bearings and ways aren't all shot and worn out. a bridgeport style mill and a decent lathe you can make just about anything. I have seen real Bridgeport mills with power feeds and readouts go for between one and two grand. There are tons of "good" brand name machine tools out there. If you see anything you are interested in you could run it by me. Unless you have 3 phase electric hookup it narrows it down quite a bit. I don't know what it takes in bucks to get set up for 3 phase. The lathe in the picture ran on 120V. Anything much bigger is usually three phase. Where I am at, it is very rural and folks need farm equipment repaired. I could also make pedal steel guitar parts or just about anything I wanted. Machining is mostly common sense that comes with experience. Speeds and Feeds are very important. Remember, an indicator is a machinists best friend.

Last edited:
Back