odd SONAR problem with Q10

zekthedeadcow

I've had an Aardvark Q10 on my system for just over a year and it was working fine...until this week... Now SONAR usually doesn't recognise it... however the card is still working with other sound producing programs...and if I reboot a few times it might load up and SONAR will work fine....

XP pro
SONAR XL 2.1 (just saw the other upgrade reciently)
Intel 1.3 ghz
512 MB DDR RAM

no other sound cards are on the system and there are no device conflicts...and it works fine with everything but SONAR... anyone seen this happen before?

I haven't come across it before. You might want to try deleting your aud.ini file and see what happens. Sonar will generate a new one when you start it up and it will reprofile your sound card. (If you want, give the old file a new name - oldaud.ini - this way if it doesn't fix the problem you can restore it.).

If that doesn't help, I would try uninstalling and reinstalling Sonar.

zekthedeadcow said:
no other sound cards are on the system and there are no device conflicts...and it works fine with everything but SONAR... anyone seen this happen before?
Have you installed a new program? Perhaps Winamp with it's agent?

Dachay (or whoever) correct me if I'm wrong but I think Sonar requires more or less complete control of your soundcard. Meaning: Say I want Winamp and Sonar to run at the same time. It's possible but I have to start Sonar first and Winamp second.

Re: Re: odd SONAR problem with Q10

moskus said:
Dachay (or whoever) correct me if I'm wrong
OK, if you insist. :D

In Options > Audio > Advanced, there is a checkbox for Share Drivers with Other Programs. I believe if this is checked you are OK to run other audio programs.

However, some of these programs are pretty insidious. Quick Time comes to mind as a program that wants to take over your entire computer.

Re: Re: Re: odd SONAR problem with Q10

dachay2tnr said:
OK, if you insist. :D
But even then I need to start Sonar first and Winamp second. If I didn't have that checkbox - errr - checked, my computer would crash.

That sounds more likely to be a problem with WinAmp, rather than Sonar. Is it that way with other audio applications?

ooOOOoooo "In Options > Audio > Advanced, there is a checkbox for Share Drivers with Other Programs. I believe if this is checked you are OK to run other audio programs."

Now that I think about it I checked that reciently... I'll shut it off when I get back home and see if it works... now pretty much the most reliable way for be to get it to work with sonar it to open up GTA3 :) and distract myself for a bit and then close the game and start recording... :)

thanks
sam
zekthedeadcow@hotmail.com

Do you have ALL the current maintenance on your XP system? This includes Service Pack 1, and all the Windows Updates security patches.

The msblast.exe worm is making the rounds and playing Hobb with the RPC system in XP. The innoculation patch was released in mid-July, so you should have it in place *if* you are staying current with Windows Update.

Those with cracked copies of XP need not apply. SP1 will recognize cracked serials and so will Windows Update.

Make sure that Internet Explorer has "Install on Demand" not-checked in the Advanced tab. This will force IE to ask you every time some nasty little internet varmint wants to install in your IE. Consider installing Zone Alarm, which is a free download firewall.

Best solution is dedicating a workstation to Sonar and putting nothing on it that is not directly required for the purpose. Every time you connect to an internet site, you are exposing yourself to Spyware, bots, worms, etc.

My Aardvark which I never had problems with until this week has begun crashing in conjunction with Sonar as well.

Back