Octabans

NL5 said:
So do you like them or not? :D
I guess they were also good as a way to fake people into thinking you were a percussionist instead of a drummer. Other than that...

tilinmyowngrave said:
Octobans are OK, but the price is way too much. Roto toms are cheaper and cooler.

See, here's where I differ. (This is just MY humble opinion. No offense to anyone.) Roto toms are NEVER cool. I have always seen roto toms on the kit of the guy who THINKS he's Neil Peart, but can't play like Neil or afford a set of concert toms. Seeing a set of rotos on a kit instantly makes me think the drummer is gonna suck. Unfortunatley, I'm usually right.

Octobans makes me think the drummer might know what he's doing, because he's after a specific sound, not a budget solution.

PhilGood said:
Alot! The two sound nothing alike!!

If you tune the 6" roto's down really low, they will have a similar kind of sound, especially mic'd up. it was close enough for me. :p

Tim

PhilGood said:
See, here's where I differ. (This is just MY humble opinion. No offense to anyone.) Roto toms are NEVER cool. I have always seen roto toms on the kit of the guy who THINKS he's Neil Peart, but can't play like Neil or afford a set of concert toms. Seeing a set of rotos on a kit instantly makes me think the drummer is gonna suck. Unfortunatley, I'm usually right.

Octobans makes me think the drummer might know what he's doing, because he's after a specific sound, not a budget solution.

I have an entire set of Chrome rototoms (from 6"-18") and I love them.
The problem is that most drummers tune them way up out of their natural tuning range.

Tim

PhilGood said:

Well of course, you need to know how to use them! If I had a set of octobans or roto toms, that wouldn't make sense, because I suck. But in the hands of someone who is a skilled drummer and tuner, roto toms (and octobans) can be nifty tools.

Tune them low....

Thats funny!I hate the sound of Roto toms tuned low.
But I also like the sound of a marching snare drum also, so that tells you about my ear :p

Back