Obelisk by Spire

Nugagerube

This is the song I made. Impressions? Criticisms? Compliments? What could I do better, what did I do good? You like? Dislike? Say anything you'd like, as long as it's pertinent.

Attachments

• Obelisk.mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 26
What do you say to something like this? It's either avant garde enough that objective criticism is meaningless, or it's a bunch of stuff you threw together randomly. (The difference is pretty subjective.)

I personally didn't enjoy it, but someone else might think it's the next brilliant leap in electronica.

The only objective things I can think of to say about it: The panning is pretty weird.
Most of the levels are pretty good relative to each other, but some of the drums could probably come down.

interesting but that's about it.

Too random to be called a 'song' in my opinion ....... more like a sound montage .... not horrible but nothing I would listen to more than once ..... or even all the way thru.

Oh, tough crowd. Personally I think it sounds orbesque. (the group Orb, listen to "A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld"). There is only about 4 different tracks. I think some of the piano ones are a bit random and have to many notes together. Its just one of several various mixes I did of the song. I still have yet to complete the trakc entirely. But thanks for the feedback (somewhat).

I think when something is quite niche like this its going to be difficult for the average listener not to appear a tough crowd...

I thought it was well done...I found the drums a bit flat, kick and snare seemed to lack a bit of punch and sparkle for want of better words. I thought the panning was interesting but could have done with a little work, maybe some automated reverb and imaging to bring it in and out of the stereo field or even trailing off in a dub like delay occasionally?? especially as its whats been chosen as the main movement within the track

overall though I liked it and the mix, other than some tweaking of the drums...nice one :)

I think when something is quite niche like this its going to be difficult for the average listener not to appear a tough crowd...

I thought it was well done...I found the drums a bit flat, kick and snare seemed to lack a bit of punch and sparkle for want of better words. I thought the panning was interesting but could have done with a little work, maybe some automated reverb and imaging to bring it in and out of the stereo field or even trailing off in a dub like delay occasionally?? especially as its whats been chosen as the main movement within the track

overall though I liked it and the mix, other than some tweaking of the drums...nice one :)

Well I do say that was some feedback. I don't really understand or know how those effects you told me work but I assume i just have to find the effect and add it to the track huh? I have Ableton Live 8 so it probably has it. But anyways thanks for the feedback.

well in ableton its pretty easy, drop the reverb and/or stereo imager into the track the bring up it automation perimeters (on the right)....by drawing out or point and click the wet/dry mix on the automation line you can make the reverb come in and out giving the impression of moving forward and backwards...when you combine it with the widening of the stereo image its like it expands into the soundfield giving it a 3d presence rather than just panning, if that makes sense..with the delay as the drums go of to the right add a ping delay, just automated to come in at the extreme of the pan and also panned hard right would fade the drums off into the abyss lol

the drums need some EQing too imho, bring the snare up in the HMFs and maybe layer a "click" kick under the one youve got, or a punchier kick sample...would help them really shine through

hope thats not too critical

Yeah, better drums would raise this a level or two...
Not uninteresting though, now if it was accompanied by the right visuals, as a movie/ documentary soundtrack or video...it would have more of an impact.

Back