oak vs. hickory

astoebe

I really like promark oak sticks...I like that they are a little heavier, but I am under the impression that this may be an odd thing. Do drummers generally like lighter sticks or is it just a preference thing (i guess you're answer could be yes and yes, but you understand what i'm asking). I'm primarily a guitarist and just mess around with drums, so I was wondering. I saw a thread about what kind of sticks people use, but nothing that addressed this issue. Thanks...

andrew

I used to use oak sticks when I first started because I couldn't afford to replace sticks very often and I didn't know the difference in feel. Once I was able to afford the switch to hickory I suddenly noticed a HUGE difference in feel, balance, control, rebound and all the features that make up why hickory is preferred.

I'll never play oak again and haven't for 16 years.

depends on the style and what you think feels good really...like for jazz I like to use lighter sticks for more grace notes. For blues and such I use 5A's. As for oak and hickory, again, its your preference, just gotta go to the store and try everything.

I like the ahead joey jordinson signature sticks. They are an aluminum composite with plastic sleeves and tips which are replaceable. To me, they have great balance and feel and are awesome...

sirslurpee said:
I like the ahead joey jordinson signature sticks. They are an aluminum composite with plastic sleeves and tips which are replaceable. To me, they have great balance and feel and are awesome...

I hate Ahead sticks... they feel unnatural and make my cymbals sound too bright. But each to his own. As for oak vs hickory, I never knew there was a difference. What are the Danny Carey Vic Firth models? Thats what I prefer.

astoebe said:
i think only promark makes oak?

Good point! I can't think of another company that makes oak sticks. Promark also uses Texas oak, so that's another stike against it. ...Oh wait, Promarks are made in Texas. That's two strikes! :p :D

No really! Oak has a benefit that it doesn't shread like hickory, it dents. It lasts a heck of a lot longer, but also is very heavy, rigid and doesn't absorb shock the way hickory does. Maple sticks are also good.

Sticks like hickory and maple will last almost as long if the grain is perfectly straight. Your hands will love you for playing them. They take alot of the vibration out of strong hits and mis-hits. They also have a nice rebound and balance.

Back