Nyquist and Oberheim

djhead

Military Intelligence
I got 2 new plugs for my system, but am not sure how to use them effectively.

One is a nyquist EQ. WTF? It look slike a bunch of waves that I can drag around. Is this a good plug? How does it work?

The other is an Oberheim autotune. I can sort of figure it out, but I dont know what settings sound good, in terms of fast and slow correction. And they want you to put in the scale and whether its a major, minor, etc. How do you find that out?

is there manuals with these?
Looks like the Nyquist EQ is just a parametric EQ. Just treat it like any other EQ...never tried it so I don't know how it sounds.

Fast and slow correction are going to have to do with exactly that...how fast or slow it corrects. This will depend on the tempo of the song and whether or not it's noticeable when it kicks in. Consider it similar to a compressor or a gate's attack setting.
As far as if it's major or minor...you'll need to know what notes you're playing/singing. And what chords (or key) you are in. This might be a time you start learning a little music theory. Music is a language you're interested in, correct? Learn the language.

bennychico11 said:
is there manuals with these?
Looks like the Nyquist EQ is just a parametric EQ. Just treat it like any other EQ...never tried it so I don't know how it sounds.

Fast and slow correction are going to have to do with exactly that...how fast or slow it corrects. This will depend on the tempo of the song and whether or not it's noticeable when it kicks in. Consider it similar to a compressor or a gate's attack setting.
As far as if it's major or minor...you'll need to know what notes you're playing/singing. And what chords (or key) you are in. This might be a time you start learning a little music theory. Music is a language you're interested in, correct? Learn the language.

Oh i read music just fine. But not for singing. Weird huh? I guess i could dust off the MIDI keyboard and figure it out by matching pitches.

well, you should be able to figure it out just by listening then if your ear is trained. Do you play guitar or anything else? If you're playing a bunch of major chords, then the key is major and it's safe to say just leave it in major. Commonly, if the first and last chord sound/are major, then the key is the same.
I think the plugin just wants you to tell it what key the song is in. It just helps it decide what pitch you're singing/playing. For example, if you're in the key of C and sing an E, but you're 50 cents flat....if you say that you're in C major the autotune will automatically assume you tried to sing an E because that's in the key you're playing. If you denoted that you were in C minor, the plugin would lean the other direction towards the Eb to put it in the minor key.

Back