Nylon String Tension?

muzeman

I just bought a nylon guitar and was wondering about the different string tensions.

According to the guitar manufactures website,the guitar ships with super high tension strings.
I bought a set at the store,Saverez high tension.

Is it o.k. to put these on,or should I exchange them for super high tension?

Can anyone tell me how the different tension ratings equate to other guitar strings,like light,medium,heavy etc?

They told me the Saverez were the best one's.
Anybody used them?

Thanks,
Pete

I'll never use Savarez strings again. Twice D strings have unraveled embedding metal fragments in my fingers. They are overpriced and weak on durability.

High tension strings generally offer the best combination of playability, intonation and staying in tune.

Less expensive strings that play a lot better in my opinion are Adamas and the bulk (in sets of 4) strings from string this . com.

http://www.stringthis.com/clasguitstri.html

Thanks philboyd,I appreciate it.

Can you tell me how the string tensions run for nylons?
Are they low tension to super high?

I'm looking for a middle ground,strings that sound good picked or strummed.

Thanks,
Pete

I don't understand. Wouldn't all strings be at the same tension when in tune? Does high tension just mean less stretch factor?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Exactly my point.

I think the tension ratings on nylons are the same as the gauge ratings on steel strings,light,heavy etc.
Definitly has to do with bendability,just trying to get a feel for what each means.

Pete

Sometimes the string size changes with tension ratings, sometimes not, it's more to do with the manufacturer. High tension is sometimes a smaller guage, .024 compared to .028 for instance but never bigger.

Low tension is like rubber bands, normal and high are close and very high is pretty stiff.

That's a good description philboyd. When I switched from normal to high tension there was a noticeable "tightness" when finger picking the strings (that's a good thing IMHO).

rpe

Back