Ny comp on drums

Vigo

So i havn't seen a new topic in a while here so i wondered "heh why not"

I use NY COMP on my kicks and snare when needed don't really know where else, what do you guys use it to? Am I doing wrong?

I've had 'real' drums, courtesy of BongoBoy on about 4 of my songs now. Since I don't know what I'm doing, I balanced the tracks, EQ'd a little as I felt needed and left it at that. Works for me. Of course if I was doing metal or hard rock, that would make a difference, I guess.

I tried NY Comp a long time ago. Didn't like it on my stuff. Of course, I probably did it wrong, but really, how can you mess up full-on compression and blending?

I mix drums this way, I have the drum mix going to a stereo bus, the usual compression on the snare and kick as usually required to suit the song, I also have another stereo bus set up with a compressor, I then send either the whole drum kit or parts of the drum kit to this bus, then mix the two buses together, this is a form of NY compression, or parallel compression. The greta thing about this set up is you can try different options very quickly to see what fits the mix.

Alan.

You can use on it on just about anything. I've used it on guitars. Anywhere you want to preserve transients and bring up sustain levels. You can stomp on it an you're still going to have dynamics in the dry signal.

It can always, like anything else, be used for more creative effect; I think some guys use it on vocals this way.

J

AKA Parallel Compression.

Yeah I use it a lot, on many different things, when I want to fatten them up

By the way, parallel lines do meet

They're just very discreet about it.

Carry on.

I usually set-up at least two compression busses on my mixes. One is always solely for the drums and percussion. I put other elements of the mix through separate comp busses -- vocals especially.

My take on NY style Compression on drums I buss the entire kit including effects. If your mixing in the box and massive crush is desired, I found now better compressor than 112db Big Blue; it makes drums sound huge.

I have found it works best on drums with everything but the overheads. Guess it depends on how one records a kit and what genre tho...

Back