numbers next to track names?

Chipster

I've notice when I set up an audio track there's a number next to the track name such as -56.2 and then it changes as I record. What are these numbers, and in what range should they fall?

If you check out the manual a look up meters.

They are used to measure the loudness of the track. It actually decreases the louder the track. You can have some issues called 'clipping' when it reaches 0.0 and turns red. Basically you don't want that to happen.

I personally try and track around -30 or so.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

Porter said:
If you check out the manual a look up meters.

They are used to measure the loudness of the track. It actually decreases the louder the track. You can have some issues called 'clipping' when it reaches 0.0 and turns red. Basically you don't want that to happen.

I personally try and track around -30 or so.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

I had look at the pdf version of the manual, but didn't find that. I'll look again. I figured it was some type of meter, and figure it was the input meter. However, not being able to see I couldn't tell which number made it clip, nor could I see it turn red. So it clips at 0.0?

For the record, clipping occurs at 0.0 in the digital realm specifically. Since we're working with bits, every sample must have a value between
0000 0000 0000 0000
and
1111 1111 1111 1111
(assuming we're working at 16-bit resolution). 0.0 dB means all the bits are on (all 1s), which is the loudest sample that can be represented digitally. (note: I'm FAIRLY certain this is how it works, but this is really just my taking what I know to a logical conclusion - I'm open to corrections from those better-versed in the technical details).

In the analog realm, things work differently, and clipping occurs somewhere above 0 - I believe it varies from one piece of equipment to another.

Porter, do you really mean -30, or -3.0? For the whole mix, or for individual tracks? If -30 on the mix, aren't you losing a lot of resolution that way?

LfO said:
Porter, do you really mean -30, or -3.0? For the whole mix, or for individual tracks? If -30 on the mix, aren't you losing a lot of resolution that way?

I was about to ask, because it is literally impossible for me to track our snare below -5. Damn Orange County snare.

Back