NTK vs Oktava MKL2500?

Justsomeguy

Quiet is the new Loud
Hey chaps and chappetts, i'm currently looking longingly at an Oktava MKL 2500 but was wondering if anyone has compared it to either a Rode NTK (which i already have and like) or Avantone CV12 (which i've used but don't own)? Or, and this will be a very open question, are there any other LDC tube mics in that kinda price range (£160 - £500) that i should have a look at? I've not tried any of the MXL tube mics and was tempted by an Alctron HST-11a (or Apex 460 outside the UK) to mod but, and i may be wrong here, but didn't Mr Joly stop modding them because QC got so bad on them?

Yeah, i do really like my Avantone CK7 and i've just seen a very, very, very good price on a used CK1 which i feel rude passing up, but there's something about the oktava that draws me in like a moth to a flame.

Justsomeguy - You're a "mic guy" so you're drawn to any mic like a moth to a flame. Ha ha. Justsomemicguy. :)

On a more serious note, I think I'll have to check into these as well. Since I first started posting here I've been bitten by the mic bug myself.

Ok I'm back from looking at these mics at Sweetwater. I can see why the interest is there. I've never played with a stereo mic (CK-40) up to this point. I'm guess drum overheads? As for the Oktava MKL2500 a tube mic has been on my radar for a bit now. Nice to find another option. Thanks for that.

Justsomeguy - You're a "mic guy" so you're drawn to any mic like a moth to a flame. Ha ha. Justsomemicguy. :)

A friend of mine called me a "Mic Junky" the other day :eek: He was totally right but still. I don't know what it is about mics that makes me lust after them soooo much.

I ended up picking up the CK1 and some other gear so i'm now back to adding mic's to my "wish list" until funds allow

Back