Now what?

pablo

So here I am, once again, I've decided I'll make something else... :rolleyes:
I want to get serious about mixing and making some good music, here's what I've been able to do so far:

1. Create songs using fruity loops, some trance and some kind of trip hop, some of my friends said it was OK.
2. Mix mp3s with some progam I downloaded from download.com, I kinda did it but my demo expired, so I kept myself out of that.

So now I want to start been seen, mix in clubs, if possible my own music, I have never put my hands on a turn table before, but I doubt not I can do it...
So here comes the questions:

1. What kind of equipment will I need?? I've been thinking a set of turntables and a mixer, and equipment similar to what comes in rebirth a couple of rhythm machines, a tweak box and something for the basses (a tweak box?) I can play some keyboard also...

2. Since all the stuff I make in fruity loops comes out as .wav I doubt I can easily get that to vinyls (yes, I alredy readed that other threat) so what about CD players instead of turntables? I've seen some that you can even use to scratch just like vinyls!! but they are expensive ASS.

3. How expensive is it to buy enought LP's to play during a WHOLE NIGHT? where can I buy them?

Here's the deal, right now I live in St. Louis, but for summer I'll be moving to my country (Adorable Colombia) where I've seen I could have an oportunity to get some gigs, and I'll be there for around 6 months, so I have until july to learn and work hard to buy the equipmet I'll need... do you think it's possible to learn in this time enouth so I can be hired in a club as a DJ?

pablo said:
So here comes the questions:

1. What kind of equipment will I need??

2. I've been thinking a set of turntables and a mixer ...

3. equipment similar to what comes in rebirth a couple of rhythm machines, a tweak box and something for the basses (a tweak box?)

4. I can play some keyboard also...

5. Since all the stuff I make in fruity loops comes out as .wav I doubt I can easily get that to vinyls (yes, I alredy readed that other threat) so what about CD players instead of turntables? I've seen some that you can even use to scratch just like vinyls!! but they are expensive ASS.

6. How expensive is it to buy enought LP's to play during a WHOLE NIGHT? where can I buy them?

7. ... do you think it's possible to learn in this time enough so I can be hired in a club as a DJ?

1. You'll need some turntables, preferably, Technic 1200's, ]if you have the money some Pioneer CD players, a laptop, and a keyboard.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Check the CD player at http://www.pioneerelectronics.com :D

6. It depends on the venue.

7. It really doesn't depend on your skill level. It depends on .... who you know AND who knows YOU. ;)

Ok, here's an estimate of the things I think I will need with price, based on recomendations or personal experience with them:

Korg MS2000 Analog Keyboard $749.99
Korg ER1 Electribe Rhythm Machine $269.99
Korg EA1 Electribe Analog Tweak Box $269.99
Numark MIX-1 CD Mix Station $399.99
Technics MF SL-1200M3D Road Kit $549.99
Sony MDR-V700DJ Headphones $129.99

Total is $3000 bucks... wow...
What do you think?
1. I'm concerned about the keyboard because I couldn't find how you sync it? I know it's stupid question, but I didn't read in the spec anything about MIDI, so maybe this is one of those trick products that are cheap but I won't be able to use anyway?
2. Do you think I will need the technics? :) they are thousand bucks and I already have a CD mixer, sorry I can't afford Pioneers if these can do the work... besides, I don't have a single LP on me, so that will be another expense, but I can buy CDs or use some I already have, right?
3. Will I be able to operate all this machinery but myself?!?! :eek:

pablo,

Do a search on my username and "acid'. I explain a bit how I'm using Acid to "spin" my own music and remixes at parties. It's obviously different than turntables, but there are many expressive possibilities that I'm only beginning to discover.

Fruity Loops can be your mixing tool man. Look no further.:)

barefoot

pablo said:
.... What do you think?
1. I'm concerned about the keyboard because I couldn't find how you sync it? I know it's stupid question, but I didn't read in the spec anything about MIDI, so maybe this is one of those trick products that are cheap but I won't be able to use anyway?
2. Do you think I will need the technics? :) they are thousand bucks and I already have a CD mixer, sorry I can't afford Pioneers if these can do the work... besides, I don't have a single LP on me, so that will be another expense, but I can buy CDs or use some I already have, right?
3. Will I be able to operate all this machinery but myself?!?! :eek:
1) I am not familiar with this keyboard. :(
2) You can buy a used one for $175.00 US. And, to be totally honest with you, no, you don't need a turntable.
3) Yes.

i'm very familiar with the Korg ms2000 and it's only got 4 voices, which is far from enough for trance. It's got a great sound though and a huge span. But 4 voices, just doesn't cut it.
As for the Electribes.. yo.. those toy boxes might seem like the first time you try 'em. The groove sampler got a 33kHz output.. i mean, come on.. we're in the times of dvd korg! :D

Seriously, your money are way way way way.. and did i mention way better spent on a Small sampler like the E-MU ESI2000 and either a Waldorf MicroQ or a Novation Nova.

I'd recommend the Waldorf MicroQ since it's expandable to 75 voices and 16 parts, which gives you all the power you need. The Nova only got 16 voices, but it's one hell off a piece though, it's about what you can afford. Both are affordable and great synths.

Both have analogue input for use with their vocoders, filters and shit too. The Nova is for people who can't afford effectboxes either. Each part has individual delay, reverb, chorus/flanger/phaser/ensemble, distortion, EQ, Comb Filter and autopan. The effects are also routable (wyld)

You can get an E-MU ESI2000 fairly cheap and with a computer allready on your hands you should be set. You can get samples all over the internet and with a cheap sound editor, you can mess even more with the samples.

Ok, I took a look at it, and I should had warn you something... I'M RACK-O-PHOBIC, those racks things just seem too complicated, but I'll try that one...
And by the way, this is more expensive than 2 electribes togheter... and I know it's because it's way better, but I don't really want to buy more than I'll use, it has happened to me before, I bought 2 guitar FX processor when all I needed was 2 effects, so I paid for a lot I ws not going to use... at least by now...

Thanks for the Input!

Back