Now for something COMPLETELY different!

Blue Cyberia

Well, maybe not completely different, but I've got some tunes which I would like some opinions on. I have three different songs that I just uploaded on nowhereradio. I'm always looking for improvements and would like some constructive feedback. These were all done with synths and samplers, and one with vocals. Forgive the sappy lyrics. It was for my wife. :)

Thank you!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1730&alid=-1

I've got a slow dial-up (redundant, I know) so I just downloaded one...Egypt.
Very cool melody and ambience. At first I wanted the rhythm to pick up, then realized that you were building momentum. I dug the way congas and other percussion entered and lifted the track. I detected a slight bit of hiss toward the beginning...I think in the lead melody voice.
Very pleasurable listen, good job.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the listen. The original Egypt had a long one minute intro which did have
a hissy track (an old JX10). That's probably what your hearing. I'm thinking of redoing that part. Anyway thanks again. Any others?

Ok... You mentioned one had vocals, and the lyrics were sappy. So I immediately look at the titles and try to figure out what one has the sappy words. Mark already gave me a hint that it wasn't Egypt, and "All My Life" seemed like the most probable choice of the remaining two. ca-ching!! I do this to make your life miserable :D.

The music was very well recorded. It was a nice soothing sound and pretty well structured. Nice melody. Good use of "instruments." Good job all around there.

Lyrics. Umm.... Yeah they were sappy. Real sappy. Real real sappy. Hey - I'm just having fun and I hope you take that way. All that matters is that your wife feels special because of it.

Thanks for the feedback TripleM. Actually my wife LOVES it. She swoons everytime I play it, but lyrics really aren't my specialty. Thanks again, and I took it exactly as you meant it :)

I listened and I liked it.. yeah there was some 'ultrsap,' but I liked the melody.. It's hard to comment on the lyrics considering the intent.. I really liked the melody, and the sounds of the music..

nice job..

B.Sabbath,

Thanks. I appreciate that. Anyone want to comment on the others? They're all very different from each other. I have alot of other tunes if anyone cares to know.

Well, I'm surprised no one checked out Perpetual Waves.
I think that is one of the coolest of the bunch. Incidentally,
these are all done with REAL instruments which just happen
to be synthesizers, played by real hands (mine). No step
sequencing done here my friends. There was some minor
quantization on the drum and bass track, but that was it.

I listened to Perpetual waves.

I liked the production,and the mix was right on.
The snare sounds especially good,sampled?

Nice keyboard work.

Very cool!

Best to you,
Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the listen. Yes it is all sampled drum sounds. This was from
a Roland JV2080. That was actually one of my easier tunes to complete.
Everything just seemed to flow. I started with the bassline and it inspired
the rest. Normally for this type of tune, a more synthetic snare would be
used, but I just like that full acoustic sound better. :)

Listened to Perpetual Waves. I like the build up at the beginning. It kind of reminded me of an ELO beggining. Nice change when it kicks into the melody. I like the synths and the arrangement was good. I didn't care for the drum sound as much, though I think they were actually mixed well -- but of course, we all have our individual taste in drum sounds, so take this with a grain of salt --

Nice tune overall. You did a good job of writing it and it sounds good!

Boydrj,

Thanks for the comments. Your point on the drums is well taken. I might play around with that some more. It is a matter of taste, but I guess the real question is do I go with the norm, or do I create my own sound. I guess it depends on your goals. I'm kind of stuck in between going all electronic and mixing old and new. My musical tastes are more in the 70's.

Back