November Song (already?!)

CrankyOne

I did this song a few hours ago. Maybe I should sleep on the mix, but I don't feel like it. I was trying out a slightly different kick drum sound. But to me it sounds the same as on my previous songs. I hope I'm not starting to repeat myself on my songs. I noticed the structure is pretty similar to what I've done before (heavy & mellow parts mixed).

I'm sorry I haven't been commenting on other people's tunes lately. I've been a bit busy. I'll make some comments this weekend...

-EDIT-

Oops.. I forgot the link:

Ahhh.......Quality hard rock! Great tune CrankyOne. I don't feel too qualified to comment on the mix, but I will anyway's, sound's great!
And the drum's do sound good. What are you using for them?
And how about the guitar?
Later...........Joe Recorder :)

Joe Recorder said:
Ahhh.......Quality hard rock! Great tune CrankyOne. I don't feel too qualified to comment on the mix, but I will anyway's, sound's great!
And the drum's do sound good. What are you using for them?
And how about the guitar?
Later...........Joe Recorder :)

Thanks.

Drums are midi. My own soundfont (that means it's a collection sounds put into one big file that is loaded into computer's or soundcard's memory). Guitar is a crappy Epiphone plugged into a cheap Zoom505-II, but the sound is further enhanced with a DirectX effect called Revalver.

And I'm not playing that good. It's a bunch of cut & paste work. :D

Wow,great song!
The guitars rocked!

Some great playing going on there!
Really good mix,nice and clean.

I liked the little stalls in there,like at 3:13,nice touch.

Cool stuff!

Pete

ok look ...i suck at all this "mixing advice" stuff so lets just get to the point....THIS SONG ROCKED.....i dont care about levels or meters because this SONG ROCKED......
...i thought the guitar was great and really fit well with the WAY THIS SONG ROCKED........with that said.......i thought it was ok..

jamal:D <-------does not rock in such a way as this song completely did!

Vin Diesel ain't got nuthing on you dooood...... I"m gonna ride with this tune come winter time. Good call, Sky Blue.

Revalver... I thought I could recognize that plug-in. Nice guitar work. On some of the side fill leads, maybe something to bring them up front a bit more.. The intro clean guitar was pretty weak. Maybe double it or thicken it up with some delay?

For midi drums, those kicked ass. Those were sound fonts? Pass them on to me! Great job on the panning.

There were some weird synth noises throughout what were those? They kicked ass. Added a lot of unexpected flavor.

All in all, a kick as tune and mix.

you are getting a pretty serious sound.. no doubt.. very crisp.. I have been comparing this to a song I'm working on and it's like night and mud.. my song being the mud.. this is louder, crisper, and much tighter than my sound will ever be.. I think it's time I looked into recording with the computer and getting into some of this plug in business.. you have been adding keyboards to a lot of your tunes lately, and it's a good thing.. Nice riffing..

damn..

maybe it's almost too crisp? not sure because I am used to mud..

mud..

my name is mud..

great piece.. I'll be back with complaints later.. after my mud bath.. I mean, my new mix..

damn....I'm gonna follow the route of the guy named bucket head..

no advice...just opinions... I liked it. very much. there was a post, a couple up...the one with the weak gtr comment in the intro. I agreed pretty much with that post all the way thru.

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are the best sounding fake drums i have ever heard. Unreal...........Man thats clean. very clean. One helluva Mix. I dont know what to say, I am at a loss for words. I have to know more about this drum thing. Please elaborate.

I cant believe how clean that is. I know I said it before but I am beside myself here.

I see why you wanted to put this thing up asap. Kick @$#

Brian

Uhh... guys. Ok, the intro clean guitar has a bad tone. I agree. I just can't get a good clean tone usually. I don't concentrate on clean tones that much, so there you go... I've found doubling only worsening the thing, because my playing isn't tight enough on the clean parts somehow.

And the synth sounds are supposed to be a cello or something. I used some sounds from a soundfont I found on the net. I think it was called general user or something like that.

And the drum thing. Yeah, fake drums all the way. I tried a little different kick sound and I guess it worked judging from all the responses. The most important thing about fake drums is paying attention to the programming. Of course, it helps when the sounds are good too. No doubt about it. The soundfont is my homemade, and if I'd give it to anybody, I'd have to kill him/her :D I'm not a sharing type on that one, sorry. It's just the way I am. And the soundfont isn't THAT good. It's the programming nuances that count and the mixing too. I used compression and parametric EQ on the drum track. And a little reverb too. I mixed all the drums on one track instead of mixing kick, snare, toms & cymbals separately like I've done on a few of my songs.

More of that '80s core metal infuence, this kicks some serious ass! Drives like mad, and you are a true talent with the synth drums. I wish I could get sound like that out of my kit sometimes. Great guitar distortions, they're so crispy clean for distortion, and your quite a player taboot. Awesome mix already, this blows me away. Takes me back to High School. Super job! :cool: :D

You've got a much better ear for mixing than I ---there's nothing I could say to improve it. I tend to agree with Sky Blue Lou "X-games sountrack stuff. cool"

CrankyOne said:

...and that would be a good thing?

What is "X-games", if you don't mind me asking, by the way :D

X-games are EXTREME SPORTS, like skateboarding, bike tricks, rollerblade, etc. usually done in parks. But it covers a wide variety of not quite usual sports on TV. :D

And this song would fit right in, I think it's a compliment. :cool:

Yes, it was intended as a compliment. In all the X-games stuff I've seen on ESPN they play this kind of driving, guitar-oriented rock. It's usually "indie" type stuff as well - certainly no one I've ever heard of. Then again I'm over forty so WTF - I don't even know what to call this music other than X-games stuff 'cause that's what it sounds like.

I'm at work right now so I can't play it again at the moment but what I heard last night I very much liked.

Well done.

lou

Hey Cranky,

I didn't realize you were in Finland - maybe they don't broadcast the X-games over there?

What do you young California dudes call this kind of music? (Besides good!) Does it have it's own "genre". Seems like that's where most of it comes from. Is this the Cali answer to Seattle "grunge"?

lou

CrankyOne:

...so worth the 15 min download!

Kick Ass...no pun intended! Lots of dynamics. I can't believe how loud the rhythm section seems, (relative to the lead guitars) and yet it works so well...nothing 'sitting' on top...everything is so well positioned, played and mixed.

...thanks for listening to my crud!

Dara

Is it just the lighting in here...

...or does someone like Megadeth? :D Very cool. The mix sounds tight on 1) M.M. speakers. Car stereo? Dunno. Headphones? Dunno... Ditto the monitors. That's the trick tho, ain't it? Make it sound good in all places. I'll burn it and check it on the others... very nice sound. Some vox by samster,G, or even SLuiCe would do this one better.

Originally posted by mcmd...thanks for listening to my crud!

Hey... did Cranky hear my crud? :( ;)

Chad

Back