Novation MiniNova, do you have one yet?

thercman

Hey guys! I am seriously considering purchasing one of these however it is pretty new so the videos on Youtube etc are all demos. No one is jamming on it. I was hoping someone may have sound files using it. Also, if you have one what do you think of the features and overall sound?

Well I pulled the trigger on the MiniNova today. It was my first purchase from Sweetwater and not only did they contact me over the phone but via email as well! Now that is customer service!!! I really thought that level of service has gone the way of the dodo bird. With that said I had seriously considered the microKorg because its gritty sounds appeal to me. However that thing is seriously antiquated and is dire need of an overhaul. For example, a USB connection, updated display/buttons/knobs and keys like the XL that are touch sensitive. Maybe a nice rechargeable battery for portability would help too. OR, they should drop the price to $179 - $199. $399 for that thing is way to much imho. I compare it to my Arturia which is made of metal, wood and has nice knobs, buttons, wheels and velocity keys. Novation has really raised the bar with the MiniNova. It seems as though Korg has been milking peoples cash on a very inexpensive (dare I say even cheap plasticky) portable synth because they owned that niche. Anyway I am really looking forward to experimenting with the MiniNova.

Okay, so I want to be able to use the MiniNova on a battery pack. The user manual says this regarding USB power:

"If powering the MiniNova via the USB connection you should be aware that
although the USB specification agreed by the IT industry states that a USB port
should be able to supply 0.5 A at 5 V, some computers - particularly laptops – are
unable to supply this current. Unreliable operation of the synth will result in such a case.
When powering the MiniNova from a laptop’s USB port, it is strongly recommended that
the laptop is powered from AC mains rather than its internal battery."

If I am reading this correctly it tells me that a bare minimum of 0.5A is required to get the unit to function. So if I hook up a battery that supplies 1A or even 2A am I going to fry something? I was trying to find a pack a little bit smaller than this but this supplies the rated power as well as others. Amazon.com: EZOPower Black 5-Port Ultra High-capacity Portable External Rechargable Backup Battey Pack -11000mAh (2A/2A) for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Tablet, GPS, DV Recorders, Mobile Phone, Android Phone, Cell Phone, **********, HTC, Samsung

It says right in the description of the battery pack: USB Output 5: 5V 0.5A - so use that USB outlet!

Yap! I bought one made by Zagg. It is only 6000mah but I should get many hours of use out of a charge.

Glad I wasn't trying to hold my breath waiting for a response hugh...

Back