Nothing Remains

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
So I'm a little buzzed right now - consequently this is probably sounding better to me than it might otherwise. But you guys will cure that. I'm sure. :)

Essentially this is pretty much a live recording. Except that the initial mix had a DI guitar. We deleted that and re-tracked two mic'd acoustics tracks (panned L/R)

Still debating whether to retrack the vocals as there is a lot of noise on the tracks from room stuff when it was recorded.

File updated 2-19

Attachments

• Nothing Remains 2-19a.mp3
    8 MB
Last edited:
I like the slow, but it isn't gelling in the groove. I find the keys @ :17 :28 :34 :38 :41 , etc. throughout the song distracting when they are hit - too much velocity. Personally, I'd like to hear some sustained-reverby-blues electric guitar leads in the breaks. Such as :

Vocals sound very nice. I'd nudge them up a db or so.

Drums, to me, have too much reverb. And the snare is a little slappy. The ride is a little loud.

The keyboard on the right sounds awesome. Maybe a db or so loud. The acoustic on the left is a db or so quiet. The balance of the mix leans to the right.

Love the harmonica. It's a little verb-y too.

Minor things all. It sounds real good.

Vocals sound very nice. I'd nudge them up a db or so.

Drums, to me, have too much reverb. And the snare is a little slappy. The ride is a little loud.

The keyboard on the right sounds awesome. Maybe a db or so loud. The acoustic on the left is a db or so quiet. The balance of the mix leans to the right.

Love the harmonica. It's a little verb-y too.

Minor things all. It sounds real good.
Good feedback. I posted an updated mix - although it's probably not the final one.

You made me realize the keys and the harmonica were both panned to the right. So I moved the harmonica to the left. I alsao lowered the right acoustic - I figured that would help balance the left, and maybe also bring the vocals out a little more without actually raising them.

Bottom line, I think it improved it. But maybe a tad more to go.

Oh, and there's no added reverb on the drums. They were played and recorded as midi, then the midi is being sent to a sample. Whatever reverb is there, it's in the sample. The reverb on the harp, otoh, is both added and deliberate.

The levels sound good to me now.

Don't know if you can replace the midi sounds or not. Still not thrilled with the snare.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on the harmonica reverb. :)

The levels sound good to me now.

Don't know if you can replace the midi sounds or not. Still not thrilled with the snare.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on the harmonica reverb. :)
Thanks. I do have other (limited) midi samples for the drums. I’ll play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Yeah, I wanted a reverby harp, but maybe I can back off a tad. 😁

Work to do, I guess.

Back