Notebook and firewire

va5ja

Hi there!

I'm having problems with firewire on my Asus A2D laptop with Windows XP SP2. The firewire connection is present, also listed in networking devices but when I connect my ESI Quatafire 610 with 6-4 pin firewire cable to my laptop nothing happens, no sound, no nothing. It just doesn't recognize anything, like I wouldn't connect anything. I think the sound card has nothing to do with this problem, it would be the same if I would plug-in a digital camera. Where the problem? Has anyone had the same or similar problem?

This probably sounds too obvious but just checking: You do use the power supply that came with the Quatafire instead of trying to run it buspowered, right?

Of course you have to use external power supply. But thanks, I've already figure it out myself. The notebook was so new that I had to push the cable stronger into the firewire iput :D Did you know that the new drivers for Quatafire are out - ver. 1.19. I've installed them and I've seen same strange names for MIDI inputs... maybe a bug :)

va. i'm a computer engr and ive seen a slew of laptops with problems. only this year with the coming of powerfull laptops with amd athlon and 64 and p4 chips have i felt comfortable suggesting people look at them for a daw.
i would suggest 512 ram minimum, and a lot of problems ive seen are due to laptops having 5400 rpm drives. if your laptop has such a drive i would consult the manufacturer of your laptop to see if you can upgrade the internal drive to 7200 rpm. if you use google you will see there are various vendors of drive upgrade kits. if you provide more details i'll comment further.
peace.

More rpms is better but in my experience 7200rpm drives are hyped. You don't NEED 7200 rpm drives to record.
Two weeks ago I let my laptop track a musical I was in. 4 tracks of 44.1/24 on a HP Pavilion laptop with stock hard drive and an RME Fireface 800, it went smooth and I'm sure I can push it a lot harder than that.

Back