Note in a bass pattern that's lost in the mix

I d like to hear the full track with the bass inside to understand how does this bass fits to the mix. Anyway I d sugest you to do a final mix through stems: 1 - drums+ percussion, 2 - bass, 3 -guitars, 4 - keyboards and 5 - vocals. With these 5 tracks done, will be easier to eq them together so the bass cuts through as you wish. Once you find wich of the 5 group tracks is competing against the bass, you might cut frequencies on those tracks or boost bass freqs so that it jmps out the mix. Mixing is always a matter of choosing what instruments are dominant or not in each verse or chorus of the track so that a an emotional energy from the lyrics or instruments lead people to the desired feeling.

A little fine EQ

Here's an audio sample I've done for you. First 3.5 seconds original, last 3.5 affected with some narrow filter boosts. But, I kinda agree with the folks that say if he played it again and accented that note like he should have, he'd be far happier.

Here's an audio sample I've done for you. First 3.5 seconds original, last 3.5 affected with some narrow filter boosts. But, I kinda agree with the folks that say if he played it again and accented that note like he should have, he'd be far happier.

Dood, post a sample with the whole mix man. It is not really possible to hear what the issue is, without hearing the whole shebang.

:)

Dood, post a sample with the whole mix man. It is not really possible to hear what the issue is, without hearing the whole shebang.

Just pathetic.... Strickler should fire you for ignorance.... He never gave a full track, but, I understand If other musical forms scare you into ptsd....

I did two boosts in mids and hi bass mid to get it to cut... Wish you could have done the same... But you try to merc newbs and that is on you. Can not touch this.

Im the only post of an audio sample of his, so if you could ever want to opine. Mix it you Nancies...Help THA man!

Just pathetic.... Strickler should fire you for ignorance.... He never gave a full track, but, I understand If other musical forms scare you into ptsd....

Say what? I did confuse your post, with the OP, but why should I fire myself for ignorance? :(

LOL!

'merc newbs'? What does that mean?

And mix what? That is why I asked for the whole mix. You cant mix a single track.

I am really lost now....

Im the only post of an audio sample of his, so if you could ever want to opine. Mix it you Nancies...Help THA man!

What are you talking about, what does that mean "so if you could ever want to opine", take a chill pill. The OP asked for some advice, so we get a mr expert saying "Mix it you Nancies...Help THA man!", the idea is that he asks for help and with the suggestions he learns to solve the problems on his own, so in the future he has the knowledge.

Alan.

Sorry for the absence, I'm going to post how it sounds with the rest of the mix tonight or tomorrow, I was stoked to see all the suggestions. Hopefully one of these methods will work to my satisfaction because the rest of the take is right on, and I don't like to abuse punching-in for this like this (I still do it though:D) especially punching in after the fact. Not only is the original feeling gone from the first time you recorded the track, but then I'd have to worry about matching the exact bass pickup, tone, volume and gain on the interface which has long since been forgotten.

Again, . Thanks for the advice, sorry for the delay, I'll post a clip within 24 hours.

Sorry for the absence, I'm going to post how it sounds with the rest of the mix tonight or tomorrow, I was stoked to see all the suggestions. Hopefully one of these methods will work to my satisfaction because the rest of the take is right on, and I don't like to abuse punching-in for this like this (I still do it though:D) especially punching in after the fact. Not only is the original feeling gone from the first time you recorded the track, but then I'd have to worry about matching the exact bass pickup, tone, volume and gain on the interface which has long since been forgotten.

Again, . Thanks for the advice, sorry for the delay, I'll post a clip within 24 hours.

You better. I got in a stupid argument over this thread. lmao!

Just kidding man. Looking forward to hearing what you figure out.

By the way, of all things to punch in later, bass guitar has been the easiest for me to match tone with. Bass guitars are not as finicky as singers, or multi mic'd setups like drums. I have replaced bass lines with different basses/players, and made them transparent enough, that even the original player didn't know. Shh..

:D

View attachment Mr. Summer-Rolling Bass(2).mp3

Here is kind of where I'm at with it. Things aren't polished, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help, lol, but it gives you a rough idea of what we're discussing. I can hear that note in the bass riff that's an octave higher, and I'm betting you can too, but he wants it to pop more, and I understand what he's going for, I can picture what it would sound like, but being new to mixing it's hard for me to figure out how to get it there. Let me know what you think, in the mean time I'm going to dink around with suggestions that you all posted earlier.

Sorry, it's probably important to add that this is a different bass recording than the one I posted when I started the thread. That day he took 2 takes, and this is the other one... Either way, whatever take I end up going with, the issue of trying to get that note to pop out a little stronger still applies.

Back