Not trying to start a direct versus mic'ing war...

MightyPOOsticK

but ever since I've gotten my pod I've been wondering what all the fuss is about. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because every single sound I get out of it is just obviously digital sounding and shitty. I have been screwing with it alot lately too. I've heard of people changing their minds after a lot of tweaking and time.....what exactly did you do? I've tried everything it seems like...and all I get is a thin(ish) overly processed sound. Anything I can try?

If your using it for live sounds, then there's your problem. I've always preferred the J Station to the POD anyway. The models in amp modelers are based on recorded tones, not live, so it's going to sound different. I recently used my J exclusively for some demo work, and I'm absolutely tickled.

MightyPOOsticK said:
but ever since I've gotten my pod I've been wondering what all the fuss is about. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because every single sound I get out of it is just obviously digital sounding and shitty.

i just tried ALL the pod/line 6 crap the other day (for the second time) and couldn't believe how shitty it sounded as opposed to my basic close-miced marshall jubilee sound.

i think the fuss is that people's ears change and that digital sounding crud is so prevalent now that people start thinking it's cool. plus all the features are convenient and so on...

i'll stick to micing.

Everybodies talking about all this Line6 stuff like it's a gift from God. I spent some time on a couple of thier models. As far as DI goes, it's all crap anyway, but the pod wasn't the worst thing I"ve heard. Still a far cry from good, though. And I'm not impressed with the Vetta or the Flextone2 amps. I spent a good amount of time on the amps, and never did get anything even close to my Mesa Boogie. I think I would go with a Fender Cyber twin before a Line6.

Re: Re: Not trying to start a direct versus mic'ing war...

6gun said:
i think the fuss is that people's ears change and that digital sounding crud is so prevalent now that people start thinking it's cool. plus all the features are convenient and so on...

i'll stick to micing.

word... this man knows what he's talking about.

:)

MightyPOOsticK said:
Come on! Someone please tell me I didn't buy this pod unit to look pretty next to my digitech rp100!!hehe

even if someone does tell you otherwise, won't it just be an opinion of somebody trying to justify their purchase on something that they are afraid to admit doesn't have good sound? ;)

I don't have the pod, but there have been times when I was able to tell someone was using a pod just by listening to their song. It typically sounds flimsy and artificial, like someone was purposely trying to copy a standard guitar setup, only they wrapped it in cheap cellophane and knocked the gain all to hell..

I suspect though, that this has more to do with the fact that some people don't spend enough time listening to their guitar in a rough mix of drums and bass played on their studio monitors.

I use the rp100. I listen to every single preset and amp combination against a sample of drums and bass through my nearfields. I go through both DI and a miked amp combination (guitar-->rp100-->amp-->sm57-->mic pre). It is a hell of a lot of work, but it's the only way I can feel any assurance that I am getting the best sound I can get for the particular song I am working on. In the end the miked sound has worked out in every instance save one (and that one sounds fantastic.. it almost seems like a fluke that it sounds so good.. but hey, whatever works).

I have yet to be disappointed in my final results..

Cy

Where's B.Sabbath? He may be able to help ya. He gets some great tones from his. But I think he may use other effects/amps along with it.

Yeah I've seen alotta people on these boards perfectly happy with their sound they get outta the pod. Anyone have any mp3's I can listen to of pod recordings?

If your choice is between a Pod or a shitty amp/computer/SB then the Pod will 'sound great'. But once you have a decent amp/mic/preamp/soundcard then there is no reason to go direct.

I've noticed at live shows if the guitar player has a wimpy tone that just doesn't cut through they are usually playing a Line6. I had a few guitar players over a few weeks back and we had a marshall, fender and the Pod through some JBL Eons and the Pod player just couldn't cut through to be heard.

Back