Not sure where to post,but Im new with a COOLEDIT question, or maybe more..

rane

hi, i have a new computer, and this has arisen many new problems in cooledit that i have not encountered with my last few computers.

teh first problem is: when i press record, teh INSTRUMENTAL is recorded along with my vocals??? why???

this also happened last night when i played a song in winamp by accident while recording, and it recorded the song playing!

(note: i do have headphones on, and i thought that maybe they were too loud. but i placed them far away and the instrumental still recorded. )

secondly: when i record, and just idle the mic, without saying anything, the wavelenghts seem to be at about -20 dB, which is horrible. they used to be at a decent -70 to -80 range.

why is this??

and lastly, again, when i record and idle my mic, the wavelenghts appear BELOW teh center line. this has never happened before. an individual suggested that perhaps my MIC BOOST option was on, but i checked it plenty of times and i can confidently say it is NOT on.

well.. thanks for the help in advance.

oh, and im working with an integrated soundcard from a dell computer, a cheap best buy XLR to 1/4" (or is it 1/8") cable, and, yeah.. i will be upgrading to an emu1820 and a mogami xlr cable, but despite my rahter cheap equipment, ive never had these problems before.

im actually debating whether the problem roots from my soundcard (even if the computer is new the soundcard may be cheaper than my former one, which my godfather built), and/or, my cheap mic cable. but i doubt its teh latter.

well thanks for the help, i tried posting this in other boards but no responses as of yet. i hope i get some form of help here :/

Back