Not sure where to ask - High Sierra compatibility with plugins

bluesfordan

I'm not necessarily thinking of upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra but if I purchase a new mac it will come with HS. I've heard of mucho bugs with this latest OSX, moreso than Apple usually has. I've got a phalanx of plugins that are working just fine right now and I'd hate like hell to have them rendered useless until Apple finally gets their oars back in the water. Let's just say the blush is off the bloom as far as my love affair with Apple goes. I'm realistic about them, I just won't jump on every update just because.

That said, I'm looking to step up to Thunderbolt and that means a new computer. A new computer means High Sierra. It also probably unfortunately means the newest GarageBand which means I'll lose a lot of cool stuff in the drums section. But mostly I want those plugins that I paid for to work. What's the latest word on High Sierra? Anybody having problems getting it to play nice with their existing software?

Feel free to dump on me if you must, I am trying to educate myself before I make any egregious blunders.

Hi there,
Getting to the root, why do you want to upgrade to thunderbolt?
If it's simply for modern TB interface compatibility then I'd pick up a TB/FW adapter and stay where you are.

If there are other reasons then fair enough but best to ask first. :)

It'd also be worth looking at the specific model/year that you intend to buy.
While a mac may ship with High Sierra, it may be able to run Sierra; It may not.
If it can, you could just clone your existing install over to the new machine.

The general rule of thumb with updates is 'don't unless you have to'.
With apple updates I'd add 'don't untill X.X.6 or so'.

For specific plugin compatibility it's always best to check the manufacturers site.
While early iterations of an OS can have issues and jumping ASAP is rarely good, your software should work if the manufacturer explicitly says it will.

Back