not sure what to do about my monitor situation

solaris0031

alright so here's my deal:

i am mixing on harmon/kardon computer speakers and i want to buy monitors. I have $150 and maybe a little more soon, but im wondering,

a)in my not-so-perfect room, will i be able to make use of the subtle differences between high and low end monitors? as in, is my room such crap that i might as well not get more expensive (like $500-$800) monitors

b)for $150-ish, is it even worth it to upgrade from the computer speakers? or would i better off just mixing on those until i can get really good monitors

or would i be better off getting a better piece of some other gear? i dont have a good DI box for bass, but so far i just run the direct out off of whatever amp happens to be around (direct recording out--XLR not the headphone jack)

from what i have read around here, it seems like the monitors are one of the most important tools for getting a good mix, but so far i haven't been getting TERRIBLE mixes off the comp speakers (and im checking on my buddy's mackie HR624s, my dads bose car system) so what do you guys think?

Might be better off getting yourself a pair of really nice headphones...with that money and saving $300 for some low-end Active Monitors later....

If you sign a record deal, yeah.. you might want some top of the line monitors. But, with an untreated room there is not much point at the moment. Bottom end ones will do ya...$150 wont get ya much tho...!!!

Back