Not so much a Home studio more a rehersal room for recording of Percussion progress??

timbalesman

Hello Guys,
I seem to have spent almost all the time since I joined the forum(yesterday) posting new threads and replying to some really superb feedback!So pleased I found this site:thumbs up:

I will just briefly outline what i am doing as i have posted questions on several forums
I am not to interested in Home Studio recording?like the most of you guys... but more Recording my progress as I learn to play mainly the TIMBALES and associated instruments,BELLS,BLOC,CYMBALS,E.T.C. I am trying to keep things simple and have being asking for suggestions and advice re Recording with handheld (Tascam?) and Microphone on line in and boom position e.t.c.

My room is concrete floor solid walls on two sides,thin board walls the other two sides,pine slatted roof 2 x small windows = Room-size 2mtrs x 3mtrsI was wondering, what if any sound improvements, I could make,with acoustic treatments..but again It must be kept simple and not over the top,It was just a thought,to see if by adding something to my room, I could improve the overhaul sound from the Timbales and smaller instruments...any help advice very much appreciated

Reagrds Steve:thumbs up:

You want to keep things simple, but you want to make it sound better.

Well you can't have it all. You have to determine how much you want to spend.
Many treatment solutions can be made do-it-yourself and there are plenty of instructions on-line.

There is no magic, you are fighting physics...

Hi Tim O Brian:listeningmusic:
Good to hear from you.
Yes I wish to keep things simple as possible,but I am a bit surprised by your comment "You Cant have it all"? .If someone wishes to keep things simple IE me.and I can add something? which may improve the sound,then if I have to spend 1000s$£€ then that is silly in my position & intended use,but if I could improve things? and I do admit, I do not know what could be improved,as I am not knowlegable in these things.Say you told me look steve if you get hold of 300 egg boxes and super glue to 2 walls and the sound will sound less tinny then that would be great,Maybe there are some of these room foam wedges that can be placed optimally cost couple of hundred £$,and folk said you will really notice a difference then that would be great.hope I have made things a little clearer.

Best Wishes Steve:thumbs up:

Hi Steve,
Timbales and the other percussive instruments you've listed all have relatively little low frequency information in them so you should be able to get away with some treatments that are 2", but would be best to be around 4 inches or thicker in the room to reduce some of the general problems like flutter echo, and some of the higher frequency room modes, etc.
Thicker treatment in the corners would be good if you ever started playing any larger or deeper drums, like a whole kit, or some djembes, congas, etc.
You can start with some of the tips outlined here: Room Acoustics Primer |
A lot of this article is about monitoring/mixing at a desk but a lot of the information is also just about the room in general.

+1

I think that most of your problems would be flutter echo. These will detract from the natural sound of the instrument. You want a nice even decay from the room, therefore I recommend that you alternate absorption panels, (2-4" thick ), and angled plywood panels or polycylinders so that you eliminate flutter but keep a diffuse field (this will be difficult to obtain in your small room). It's important to have trapping or absorption to control the decay time. You have a concrete room, which is a problem AND the room is very small. I think the only solution is to have all the walls and ceiling checker-boarded with acoustic panels. Follow this little rule: 'Never let untreated surfaces face each other.'

Cheers,
John

:thumbs up:Good day Gik acoustics & jh,brandt
Really good to hear from you guys,I really appreciate all the good advice and suggestions!

If I can avoid it, I would prefer to keep this as simple as possible,and sure I will have to compromise I know that,but I do not want to do anything that involves building frames e.t.c. as such.Please excuse my lack of any real knowledge and understanding on this subject.
If i can just add in Acoustic/Sound proofing to what is already there,then that will be great!

At the moment the floor is just bare concrete I was planning on adding Parket wooden floor on top? but if I could say use a drum mat would this be as good/better? or anything else?

Thicker treatment in the corners would be good if you ever started playing any larger or deeper drums, like a whole kit, or some djembes, congas, etc.

"Gik acoustics"
I have no plans as I can see to do the above,so if i can just use 4" wall coverings? i also need to soundproof,at least to a lower level? advice appreciated.

"jh,brandt"
It's important to have trapping or absorption to control the decay time
Please can you suggest some specific items?

It is only the floor that is concrete the wall covering is dry board and on 2 x walls they back onto solid rock,the other two walls are just very thin board.door is also a very lightweight interior door.

Hope you can advice further
Regards Steve:listeningmusic:

Steve,

There's no such thing as adding sound-proofing (isolation in panels). There are many companies that tell you acoustic products will give you sound-proofing. That is fundamentally wrong.

Sound-proofing is only every accomplished with MASS and air-tight seal. That is Sound-proofing. Keeping sound IN and keeping sound OUT.

Acoustic treatment is just that. Treating the space for room acoustics. :)

MOST rooms will need more large corner traps than 4" panels. Physics, my dear Watson.. physics. Read my paper, "Room Acoustics Design and the Frequency-Power Spectrum" found on my publications page. However, for a room that would be good for Timables and acoustic hand drums and such, you won't need an awful amount of trapping, but you will need to control flutter echo. Did I already say, "never let untreated surfaces face each other"? Anyway, there, I said it. This means the ceiling as well.
Treatment can be absorption, diffusion, angled panels, etc. Pick your poison. But it may NOT be cheap. Someone I know is always saying, "Cheap ain't always good and Good ain't always cheap." ;)

Cheers,
John

Back