Not recording anything!

darc mind

hey,

i put up my VX2000 preamp with my computer and when i talked into the mic the voice came good out of the speakers, but when i try to record in Cool Edit Pro it does'nt record anything, and when i put up the volume and try to listen to what i recorded you can hear very little of me

Not enough information.

What type of soundcard? USB, PCI, or Motherboard...

What sequence is your equipment in? Mic > Preamp> Soundcard, I assume?

What output from your preamp are you running to your soundcard?

Did you check your PC mixing console to make sure the line isn't muted?

Did you set your soundcard or line in as the recording device in Cool Edit from the Device properties menu?

Get back to us. I suppose it's something very simple but, there are too many possiblities from the information you supplied.

darc mind said:
hey,

i put up my VX2000 preamp with my computer and when i talked into the mic the voice came good out of the speakers, but when i try to record in Cool Edit Pro it does'nt record anything, and when i put up the volume and try to listen to what i recorded you can hear very little of me

The fact that you can "hear very little of me" when playing back the track means that you ARE recording something.

Make sure that you're..

1) plugging the mic into the mic pre correctly, (XLR to XLR cable right?)
2) setting the input/output gain on the mic pre correctly
3) plugging the mic pre into the line input of your soundcard
4) have the windows/soundcard mixer set to use the correct input as your recording source
5) have CEP's meter's set to show both record and playback
6) getting a good level on those meters from your input source before recording

yeah, you see that little yellow or grey speaker icon in the bottom of your tray? double click, go to properties/advanced and recording, turn the volume up on the mic input

and by "mic input," he means whatever input you're plugging into on your soundcard. It may be the mic input, but it probably SHOULD be the "Line" input. Hell, just turn all of those faders up. Make sure the checkmark is on whatever you've got your mic plugged into.

Back