Normalizing vs. Hard Limit vs. Amplitude?

bberg6671

hey -

This would seem easy enough, but for some reason I just don't know.

Here is the problem: I want to burn some CDs, but the songs are are at different "levels" . An older 60s song is quiet, while a newer song seems loud (well, normal). I have a very long road trip coming up, and I would like to be able to burn CDs with the songs being all at the same level. (I am not even sure if that is the right term). My goal is to burn a CD and know that I won't have to adjust the volume based on what song in being played. Suggestions?

I have Adobe Audition 5.5

Thanks,
Brandon

normalising all the tracks to the same peak volume should help a bit, but the newer songs will probably already be at 0dB and heavily limited so they will be perceived as being louder regardless. Saying that, iTunes has a feature where you can adjust the volume of all the tracks to be the same when played back. i'm guessing it's some sort of normalising process

The average level of a track is what we cue in to as it's relative loudness. All the tracks are likely already at full peak level but newer one are likely compressed and peak limited more so they play louder to our ears.
There is also the trade offs and changes in how a track sounds depending on how and how much it is compressed and limited.
Your choice is to reduce the level of the hot tracks with no change in their sound, or compress and or limit the more dynamic but 'quieter ones- which will change they're style of sound to some degree.

..or some meet in the middle of that.

Another thing to consider is to leave in a bit of variety.

Back