normalizing problem

kbguru

I’m new here but have a question my band and I have been using the Cool Edit recording program to record our audio.
When we adjust each individual track and play it back pre normalizing it sounds fine but after normalization to 96% and we have experimented with various other % qualities with a similar result, but after it is normalized it seems to Pump the gain on something’s through the roof and plant others into the ground and clips like wild fire in some places it also records comes out lower then prior, I don’t know what to do is there any way to normalize and be less intrusive to the levels that have already been set?
I’ve heard of Intelligent leveling but am not sure if this is what we need or how to go about it.
If any one can help id be grateful write me at karmablaque@gmail.com
we are pretty new at this

kbguru said:
When we adjust each individual track and play it back pre normalizing it sounds fine

You should have stopped right there.

There's no rule that says you have to normalize each track, or that it is better to normalize anything at all. The only time I normalize is on finished mixes when I need a quicky volume boost for a demo CD or something like that, if the track was recorded too soft. Other than that, when I need to raise the volume level I do it by limiting, not normalizing.

My advice would be to record your tracks at whatever volume level is natural, mix your tracks, and only then possibly apply normalization. I personally think normalizing individual instrument and vocals trakcs is a bad idea and leads to lots of unnecessary problems, as you have discovered.

My two cents anyway.

Back