Noon level problem

Chewie

I know this might sound stupid but when I'm doing my mix it sonds great at reasonable volume but it very different at quiter levels.

I just want to know is there something that s usually done about this or is it just trial an error to get a good compromise for a variety of levels?

Yep, try and get it to sound good quiet, mid and loud. It will probably sound different as the frequency heard by the human ear changes a bit with volume; but all in all it should sound good at any level.

Chewie said:
I know this might sound stupid but when I'm doing my mix it sonds great at reasonable volume but it very different at quiter levels.

I just want to know is there something that s usually done about this or is it just trial an error to get a good compromise for a variety of levels?
The reason it's happening is because you're mixing with too loud a monitoring level.

Towards the end of the mixing process, you need to turn down and listen to the mix at low-volume to check what's happening. You also need to check at higher volume (briefly)....

A good level to mix at is somwhere between 80-5dB....

You need a sound pressure level (SPL) meter if you want to know for sure. I'm not sure if they have Radio Shack where you are, but you might be able to pick one up online. They have a relatively cheap one that works.

Outside that, just shoot for a comfortable volume (traffic noise is around 85 dB for instance) and go from there.

Back