noob to spdif, sync saffire pro 40....

delirium trigge

I am noticing that I can sync the saffire pro 40 with my spdif connection or I can leave the sync internal and not sync it, and for some reason it is no different. I do not fully understand what is going on. I am brand new to using spdif devices or any extra units like this.

What exactly is happening when I am syncing it? It is in sync, as far as it is recording at 48, 24, like I want it to, it shows up on my saffire pro 40 mixer and in the DAW without turning the sync on. What is the advantage to even turning it on?

It is an HD500 I am running to the saffire pro 40 btw.

I use the Spidf setup on my SSL preamp connected to an M-Audio PCI card. When using Spidf I am using the AD/DA convertors in the SSL which are top quality, as opposed to running the analogue output from the SSL into the M-Audio card and using those convertors. The Spidf is Ideal IMO because the SSL is being connected directly into the PCI card which runs at very low latency.

What is your Saffire SPIDF connected too?

I use the Spidf setup on my SSL preamp connected to an M-Audio PCI card. When using Spidf I am using the AD/DA convertors in the SSL which are top quality, as opposed to running the analogue output from the SSL into the M-Audio card and using those convertors. The Spidf is Ideal IMO because the SSL is being connected directly into the PCI card which runs at very low latency.

What is your Saffire SPIDF connected too?

The saffire is connected to an HD500 which is a guitar pre amp. I haven't noticed latency or anything.

It says my HD500 has a 24 bit AD/DA converter that will go up to 96 and I'm only recording at 48/24 apparently the converter is really good in it.

Right, I'm guessing you can choose which convertors you want to use. Honestly both of those units have excellent convertors so I doubt there's any noticeable difference in which ones you choose to track with. Welcome to HR.

Back