noob setup question

db_loser

MW1BW.jpg

if you guys can lend a helping hand, it would greatly be appreciated.

This is what i got... I'm a midi virgin and before I dig into it, I'm trying to figure out how I shoudl connect my instruments together.

I do know that an "in" from the instrument goes in the "out" of the interface 9and vice versa)...

Question 1: how do I use the "thru" (is the thru used to connect the controller to the synth and the synth to the interface?)

Question 2: is there any way to setup all the instruments in series, or does midi not work that way? If I understand this correctly, I can only plug one instrument into the interface, right?

If someone wire this up for me, I'd be extremely grateful (or guide me in the right direction)>. I've tried researching it, but with so many different configurations, it got me more confused than anything else.

We need a lot more information before we can give you any help...

Since you have an interface, I'm assuming you are going to be using some type of recording software. If so, we need to know what it is. We also need to know what type of interface you are planning to use.

As far as the MIDI THRU jack goes, all it does is take whatever is sent to the MIDI IN jack on the device and sends it back out again where it can be used by another device.

Regarding your statement, "I do know that an "in" from the instrument goes in the "out" of the interface 9and vice versa)..."

That is not necessarily correct. Consider a standard synth with a keyboard. You could have the following scenarios:
  • You are going to use only the keyboard of the synth to enter notes into a software sequencer, to be played back by a virtual instrument. You will not be playing back any of the notes from the sequencer on the synth. You would then connect the MIDI OUT from the synth to the MIDI IN on the interface.
  • You are going to use midi tracks that are either purchased or created with another keyboard. You are going to use the synth only to play back these midi tracks. You would then connect the MIDI OUT on the interface to the MIDI IN on the synth.
  • You are going to create midi tracks using the keyboard on the synth, and will then play back the tracks on the same synth. You would then connect the MIDI OUT from the synth to the MIDI IN on the interface AND connect the MIDI OUT on the interface to the MIDI IN on the synth.
So we would also need to know how you intend to interconnect the equipment ane how you intend to use it before we could give you any recommendations.

So, provide us with this information and I'm sure I, or someone else here, will be able to guide you...

Thank you very much for the info. I thought that regardless of the software being used there's usually one way of physically setting up the wiring. I guess it's not as simple as that.

The interface is an m-audi fast track ultra:

fasttrackultra.jpg

I have a new computer running windows 7. I'm still not sure which software to use to make everything work, but I'm leaning towards Cakewalk Sonar.

My main objective is to make some electronic music, mixing in some guitar and bass tracks, and vocals as well.

I would like to connect the drum machine and the DSS-1 to the interface using Midi (rather than regular 1/4"). (Is this even possible? To connect both midi instruments into the interface? ( I don't mind unplugging 1 and replugging the other, worse case)...

The Peavey controller connects to the DSS-1. There are presets on the controller that allow for very easy tweaking of the sounds on the DSS-1 , without having to navigate through the DSS's menu (which takes much longer to do).

As far as the MIDI THRU jack goes, all it does is take whatever is sent to the MIDI IN jack on the device and sends it back out again where it can be used by another device.
Ideally, I'd like to use the DSS-1 with the controller when connected to the interface. Does the "thru" work in this case?

As for the different scenarios you pointed out, your third option is what I'm going for. To start off, I'd liek to use my synth as a midi controller, using its own sounds. (the dss has got some great sounds).

Hope this helps...
Thanks again!.

If by "in series" you mean daisy-chaining, that's exactly what the THRU port is used for. Run the MIDI OUT of the device you want to be the controller into the MIDI IN of the second device. Connect the second device's THRU to the third device's IN if you want the first device to control both of the other devices. What the MIDI THRU port does is pass through whatever was received on the MIDI IN port without modification. The caveat is that chaining more than 3 or 4 devices will introduce delays in receiving the MIDI messages at the furthest end of the chain.

Back