Noob question

seansigep

I think I am ready to take the next step in my homerecording advernture. I want to buy a compressor for vocals. But first, I have a few questions for you guys, which will probably flame me to a crisp, but I have to ask. The search function yielded only higher level answers, so yes, I did try that first.

1. I want a compressor for vocals, but I see there are some for guitars as well, as in stomp boxes. What is the difference?

2. Do vocal compressors come in stomp box packaging, or are they only in rack mountable stuff (I dont have a rack, i want to stay away from that).

3. Can I get a decent vocal compressor for under $100 (please remember I am new in this journey, and not ready to drop thousands on a hobby. I will wait until it becomes an obsession.)

4. Will my mommy ever love me as much as she loves my siblings?

Thanks for all replys, even if they are "Dood, you are such a noob, you should be pwned by us L337 haX0r recording pros."

My gear (hahaha): Schecter Gryphon, Cort Acoustic, Schecter Custom-5 bass, CAD C195 Condenser mic, Behringer Eurorack UB1202, Behringer V-Amp 2, stock soundcard, Dell 2.0 ghz, Adobe Audition 1.5, minimal talent, minimal time.

I'd say give the compressor some time and pick-up a decent soundcard and some software that is VST plug-in compatible, but that's just me. I'm an Alesis 3630 noob :cool: so I can't offer much advice on anything else.

Normally, I have an EXTREMELY low opinion of Behringer products but the one exception are their compressors. They're not too horrible at right around $100.

OK the stomp thing would be a cool "effect". But the differences would be in frequency response, impedience, noise and lack of subtleness.

I'm not trying to make you spend more money here, I'm about as budget as you get, but.... you'll need a preamp of sorts prior to the compressor... So for instance if you were thinking you can plug a mic straight into a compressor then into your PC you won;t be satisfied.... You;d need a preamp such as a small mixer (behringer ub##, yamah mg##, the yammi is about 20 times better), then run a compressor after that stage via the inserts or on the buss. You could also look at a channel strip which has a compressor that is 'tuned' with an onboard pre.

I'm not sure about the US$ conversion and costs over there, but budget ones that come to mind are jomeek and behringer does the ultravoice, but I don;t think they are available in the US due to some dodgy behri business practices. If you do have a mixerpre already then it may be worth looking at the RNC by FMR Audio, it may excede $100US but will probably have better resale value than the behringer if you decide to give up, and is probably less likely than the behringer to make you want to give up.

Please be aware that I have made quite a few assumptions in this post, but I hope my response is still relevent.

Arrgh! I'm still half asleep! I just saw your gear list! go with the RNC, it will make you happier than the behri. The behri is cool on drums, but I just don't think its a "vocal" compressor.

The RNC is very awesome on vocals, and is not a rackmount. It is pretty clean, the vocals tend to sound the same as unprocessed, except the peaks will be reduced. Over your budget, but sooooo worth it. Maybe you can bag one used.

Incidentally, I have some rack mount stuff, and I've never bought a rack. My "pro" (lol) audio stuff is in piles, and I built a box for my guitar stuff.

Alright, how about this.

The behri is good, and I am happy with my other behri stuff. What I am really looking for is an upgrade from just plugging my condenser mic directly into the mixer, and the mixer going to the soundcard. It really doesn't feel like there is much warmth to the vocals im getting. Will that be an upgrade getting a compressor, or will it just normalize the sound?

I would associate a compressor with "punchy" rather than "warm." Some of them do color the sound, but I couldn't name one off the top of my head that would warm up a signal.

Perhaps that jomeek channel strip? or a used TLA Fatman (i think they are HHB Fatman in the US), both probably a little pricier than you'd hope, but they will be a big improvement over the behringer desk

Back