Noob question

Inverness

I don't exactly know if this is in the right forum (seeing as I am quite overwhelmed by the sheer amount of them here!), but...

Is it possible to record something without a mic preamp? Just the mic into DI into sound card?

I'm just trying to save some money here... :D

is it possible...yes
will you get a good result....absolutely not.
(and why use a DI first...i have no clue)

ask yourself if you can play electric guitar in a rock band on stage (or in any band for that matter). you can, but no one is going to hear you.
think of the word AMP that's in preAMP. it amplifies the signal just like it does for your electric guitar. the microphone's electrical signal is way too weak, so you need to boost it with a preamp in order to hear anything of value. For what you need right now, just always tell your self the signal path goes "mic-->mic preamp"

I see...

Well, there goes the money I don't have which I will have to borrow from someone I will never pay back...

And I always thought DI's were needed because of incompatibility between the impedance (or whatever) between the mic signal and the line input in the sound card. I'm probably completely off the mark, as usual. Well, I wouldn't have learned if I didn't ask.

Inverness said:
And I always thought DI's were needed because of incompatibility between the impedance (or whatever) between the mic signal and the line input in the sound card. I'm probably completely off the mark, as usual. Well, I wouldn't have learned if I didn't ask.

this is true...DI boxes help with impedance...but that's generally between guitars (high impedence) and console inputs. most soundcards will accept both mic, line and instrument inputs though. but microphones are generally low impedance which allows you to interface them directly to the preamps....not line inputs. Line inputs are for line level signal, mic inputs are for mic level signal. And instrument inputs are for high impedence signal. If a mixer doesn't support high impedance, that is when you need a DI box. Just check your specs of whatever you're plugging it into. A guitar impedance is something like 7,000 to 15,000 Ohms or more. The impedance input of a mixer is generally something like 2,000 to 10,000 ohms. A good rule of thumb is to keep the lower imedance going INTO the higher impedance.
Plus DI boxes also help balance the unbalanced guitar signal....less noise.

Inverness said:
I don't exactly know if this is in the right forum (seeing as I am quite overwhelmed by the sheer amount of them here!), but...

Is it possible to record something without a mic preamp? Just the mic into DI into sound card?

I'm just trying to save some money here... :D

What kind of soundcard are you using. Some (even some stock soundblaster types) will have a built in preamp. They don't sound very Hi-fi, but in a pinch it can be done. Also, this is all assuming you are using a dynamic mic, if you have a condensor, you'll need a external preamp for amplification as well as providing phantom power to the mic.

reshp1 said:
What kind of soundcard are you using. Some (even some stock soundblaster types) will have a built in preamp. They don't sound very Hi-fi, but in a pinch it can be done. Also, this is all assuming you are using a dynamic mic, if you have a condensor, you'll need a external preamp for amplification as well as providing phantom power to the mic.

My soundcard is a Realtek AC97 Audio (came with the computer) and I will be using a dynamics mic soon (SM 57). How do I know if my soundcard has a preamp built in?

Thanks for all the help, you guys

Hmm, not familiar with that one. Is there a picture of a little microphone next to one of the 1/8" inputs? You should have one line in, one line out, and if you have a third 1/8" jack, chances are you have a microphone. On WinXP, go to control panel, sounds and audio devices, the "audio" tab, look down in the "sound recording" part, hit the "volume" button. This should bring up a window called "Recording Control," click in the select box under Microphone and use the slider to control the amount of gain applied to the microphone signal.

reshp1 said:
Hmm, not familiar with that one. Is there a picture of a little microphone next to one of the 1/8" inputs? You should have one line in, one line out, and if you have a third 1/8" jack, chances are you have a microphone. On WinXP, go to control panel, sounds and audio devices, the "audio" tab, look down in the "sound recording" part, hit the "volume" button. This should bring up a window called "Recording Control," click in the select box under Microphone and use the slider to control the amount of gain applied to the microphone signal.

Whoa! Thank you! That makes things way better!

Back