Noob question about Electronic Drum kits

twsknight

Ok, so I've been thinking about my recording situation, and I've got almost all I need for both demoing songs as well as doing proper recordings for "the public". What I was thinking is that I could do with an electronic kit that I can just plug in and hit record with, as my current option (doing it on a keyboard) is becoming tiresome.

Here's the thing though, how do I hook it up? I've got a Presonus FP10, and if I were recording real drums I'd use 5 mics around the kit so I can capture what I need to and get a good stereo image. How do I get a stereo image with an Electronic kit? If I plug it from a Line out to the FP10 it's going to be on one track, so would I use a Midi connection (I've never gone down the midi route)? Also, I use Cubase, so if I did this via Midi would it be relatively straight forward?

I realise this is a more than just one noob question, but I think if I could just come home from work, sit in front of something that feels quite like a drum kit and bang out a beat against a guitar riff or bass line I'd get a lot more done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm really not exprienced with E-drums, apart from occasionally playing them.

You can use midi, but most kits have stereo line outputs. Best case? Use both so you can quantize and/or replace samples if you want to.

When I'm setting up midi, would still have a track per pad, almost like close micing a real kit?

Also, I've a cheap kit with a usb output, anyone got any experience with this?

Back