Noob Equipment?

That'd do just fine, but there's other far cheaper options for a 2 channel setup. I'm a fan of USB mixers for 2 channels. You can keep all you stuff plugged in all the time, no switching cables around, the usually have inserts, an aux or 2, some fx, etc.. My yamaha mw10 cost $100 on ebay, I'd look for something like that instead.

id go with the line6...purely because you mention guitar and vocals and the software that comes with the line6 is excellent for both..vocal pre amps, with an abundance of guitar and bass amps too..

I have two line 6 interfaces and pod farm platinum..pretty decent stuff and you can pick them up used for a steal

Yeah, that's one. Just about ALL mics in the music biz are xlr. If it's marketed as a PC mic it'll have that 1/8" TS jack. If it's a USB mic itll be clearly stated. Otherwise you can safely assume ANY mic you get from a music store, musiciansfriend.com, etc is XLR.

I bought an XM8500 because I was working on a mic and pre shootout, and I needed a cheap mic, which I didn't really own. I figured I could count on a $20 Behringer mic to really suck, but it let me down. It *didn't* suck, and the build quality was pretty good, as they go. I'd have to say, at that price point, it is a shockingly usable mic.-Richie

Sweet, thanks for all this info guys. Now I just have a silly question :) What would happen if I plugged in my electronic drumset into the guitar port on that Line 6?

You'd get a metric assload of clipping and distortion. Use the line level inputs on the back instead.

Sweet, thanks for all this info guys. Now I just have a silly question :) What would happen if I plugged in my electronic drumset into the guitar port on that Line 6?

That depends on what kind of output your drum kit has. You need to understand that mic level, line level, and instrument level are 3 different animals, and to further complicate matters, there are 2 different types of line levels- -10 (consumer level, like most home stereos) and +4 (pro level- like most recording equipment). If your drums have an instrument level output, then it would work just fine. If they have a line level output, then you need to plug them into a line level input.-Richie

Hmm... I'm a little confused by this. It's a Roland TD-3. I'm not really sure what you mean by line level inputs and that stuff. My drums have MIDI in/out and 1/4 jack. The only line thing I know about it is it has a line in for connecting ipods n stuff.

OK- I thought you had an e-kit. The TD-3 is a midi percussion module. It has a slew of 1/4" inputs for triggers, a -10 line in, midi in and out, as you say, and no line out. The only analog out is a 1/4" stereo headphone jack. You would need to use a stereo splitter cable- that is- a 1/4" TRS (like the plug on a pair of headphones- TRS stands for tip-ring-sleeve) to (2) 1/4" TS (tip-sleeve, like a guitar cable) and plug them into (2) 1/4" line ins on the back of the Line 6. The instrument input on the line 6 is right out- it's a major league mismatch. This is also known as a "send and return" cable, because they are often used with inserts, when you want to send a signal out to an FX unit, and then back to the same connector. Here's a cheap one:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=2633&category=Studio

Here's a good one:

http://www.thecablefactory.net/audi...-160/mogami-1-4-split-y-insert-cable-222.html

Best of luck. We're there for ya-Richie

The TD-3 IS an e-kit. ?? It also has L/R master outputs, the 1/4" TS kind. They are line level. You can use TS cables to run them into the line-in's on the back of the pod.

The TD-3 IS an e-kit. ?? It also has L/R master outputs, the 1/4" TS kind. They are line level. You can use TS cables to run them into the line-in's on the back of the pod.

My apologies. I was looking at photographs of the module here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-3/

and failed to see the main outs because they were mixed in with all the trigger inputs. And when I use the term e-kit, I'm usually referring to an electronic drum kit played by a human, not a programmable midi percussion module. The net result is the same, though, but with a different cable. You will need 2 1/4" TS to TS cables, and they will go to the line ins on the back of the Line6. The guitar input is still right out. Of course, the way I suggested above would still work, but using the line outs is a much better choice. Thanks for pointing out what I missed Suprstar! I thought it would be pretty weird to build a unit like that with no line outs.-Richie

You can program a td-3 or send it midi, but the typical way to use it is to plug in a bunch of pads and play it with sticks and pedals, just like a regular drum kit. It's not just a drum machine, those trigger inputs are for rubber pads and cyms, mesh drums, hh pedals, etc. This is the standard td-3 they're selling now:

roland_td-3.jpg

Back