Non kick mics to use on kick drum

I'm sorry, I thought I was clear. In most studios that I've worked in they opt to use the Audix D6 as their first choice for that punchy Heavy Rock kick instead of the Shure Beta 52.

Ah ok, lol. I just hadn't seen you mention the model of Audix mic in your previous posts, so I thought you might have accidentally typed "Audix" in reference to the D112. It's all good.

ya i actually have a D6 and i love it. it sounds great no matter where your placement is. i kinda wish i had another one. one for inside(close to the batter head) and one in front of the kick drum close to the res' head.

It's hard to tell for sure, but I think the OP is asking which of the mics he already has would work for kick. There's lot's of great suggestion for what he should get (the AT Pro 25 is a great budget choice, the D112 is great, etc).

But if I were doing a session with what you have, I'd put the SM57 up in the hole (or even on the beater side--you have to experiment with placement) and the 909 LDC out in front of the kick. It's gonna tend to pick up all kinds of other stuff, so you might build a tent/tunnel with blankets to isolate it some. And you'll need to have it a couple/few feet feet away from the kick.

The 57 will get some good slap and attack, but like others have said, it will be a shallow picture of the kick. The LDC will round it out and give it some depth. Keep both mics' tracks in the middle of your stereo spread, and mix to taste.

But if I were doing a session with what you have, I'd put the SM57 up in the hole (or even on the beater side--you have to experiment with placement) and the 909 LDC out in front of the kick. It's gonna tend to pick up all kinds of other stuff, so you might build a tent/tunnel with blankets to isolate it some. And you'll need to have it a couple/few feet feet away from the kick.

The 57 will get some good slap and attack, but like others have said, it will be a shallow picture of the kick. The LDC will round it out and give it some depth. Keep both mics' tracks in the middle of your stereo spread, and mix to taste.

That was exactly my thoughts when I seen what he had to work with. Definately try making a tunnel with a douvet cover over a couple of chairs and the front of the kick drum with the 909 in it 2 to 3 feet back and the 57 inside pointing at the beater off axis couple of inches off the head. Buss both signals together and hit them with a comp.

The idea is to use the faders as EQ, more snap from the 57 and more bottom from the 909, just ajust to taste then buss/squash and further eq if needed once you bring the bass guitar in to get them knitting together

Last edited:
I'm not going to discourage anybody from getting an ATM25 (I have two, and would like to get another couple of them), but you could get an Earthworks Kickpad, and pair it with your SM57 to good effect for a bit less money and a lot less looking.

Back