Non destructive soundproofing/conditioning?

Be Loveless

I'm about to make an offer on a house. The basement would be the studio. The walls are covered in a beautiful wood (not laminate rental tenament shit but real 1937 era ribbed quality workmanship stuff) paneling. I think that this surface in and of itself might have good diffusion properties, but it's a row home and I still need to additionally soundproof and condition. Is there a way to do this without destroying the aesthetics of the room? I don't want to cover this stuff up with soundboard and drywall. Please suggest some minimaly destructive techniques, both proven and theory are gladly welcome. :)

Remove the good stuff and put your treatment underneath.

Then put the nice finish back over it.

It should really add some value to your pad when you go to sell it later if you can say "this is an acoustically treated video room" or whatever, and folks can blast movie soundtracks and not disturb the neighbors.

c7sus said:
Remove the good stuff and put your treatment underneath.

Then put the nice finish back over it.
Yep.
Take the good stuff off. Save it. Store it. Then use it on the new interior walls.

I was thinkin of that also. Removing the panels sound board and drywall underneath, panels back up. I really love the way it looks an my wife would be quite upset if they were damged or covered up. I guess I'm looking for a good compromise. Though I will see, it is all brick construction with firewalls on either side so the proofing part might not prove to be a major issue. The floor, cieling and corners would be fair game for conditioning treatment.

Yes, if what you are needing is isolation then it can certainly go behind the paneling. If what you are looking for is absorbtion/bass traps then freestanding units in the corners or strategicly placed like gobos can be utilized.

Back