Noisy Rode NTK...

Resoman

My Rode NTK is about seven years old, and it seems to have gotten noisier lately. I primarily use it to record acoustic guitar and, when I'm working at a level that works with my TASCAM 2488, it seems like I hear a lot more background noise than I used to.

Today, I hooked up another mic for comparison, a Shure BG 4.0, and it was much quieter, and had a lot more top end response, as well.

For now, I'm going to record with the Shure, but I'm wondering about what to do with the NTK. I suppose replacing the tube is an option, though I don't know how expensive that would be, and I'm kinda broke right now. Is a tube replacement a good place to start?

Thanks in advance; any response will be appreciated!

Gary

I had the same problem with a different mic, and someone here suggested I remove the tube and clean the prongs on the tube very good. I did, it worked. Now my mic is whisper quiet. Give that a try, shouldn't take but a few minutes. Maybe this will clear up your mic without having to send it out.

Tubes are not that expensive, and they stop working in time, ill say 7 years old tube in regular use, is almost dead. If the cleaning tip doesnt work, buy another tube (i know you are broke, but they are not very expensive like 15-20 dlls), youll also get a much better sound.

Hi Resoman,

Your NTK will still be covered by RØDE's ten year warranty if you register it online - Then just contact RØDE's US office to arrange the repair.

NTK issues...

Thanks to all who have responded!

I removed the tube last night, and all the pins on the bottom were immaculate - bright and shiny. There was nothing I could do to make them cleaner so I replaced the tube and tried it again. There actually seemed to be a bit less noise, though it was still noisier that the Shure BG4.0.

I did find a source for an inexpensive replacement tube and I think I'll go that route, for now.
I'll report back with the results.

Thanks again,

Gary,
East Snook, TX

Be careful with the tube you use, it should be good quality and Low MU or you'll end up with more noise!!!

Yep!...sounds like a bum tube...if I remember correctly, the NTK uses the same tube as the K2 (6922 tube)...best replacement will be either a Siemens or Amperex 6922/ECC88/6DJ8 variation...also, RCA gold-pinned (made in either Germany or Holland) are actually rebranded Siemens or Amperex tubes...always a bunch available on the Bay:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_fromZR46?_nkw=ecc88&_fromfsb=0&_trksid=m270.l1313

(definately try to go with a tube made in either Germany or Holland...much superior to the other brands in this particular tube design)

I've heard that the EH tubes are pretty good for that mic and are a decent price compared to the NOS tubes which are expensive and may not give much in return for the price.

I've heard that the EH tubes are pretty good for that mic and are a decent price compared to the NOS tubes which are expensive and may not give much in return for the price.

...yes...if your funds are limited ($15 range), then the EH 6922 is a very decent tube for the money...that said, I have found some very nice Amperex and Siemens tubes for similar pricing (especially the relabelled RCA versions)...either option will be better than the stock Sovtek tube IMHO...;)

Back